Amazon's Wheel of Time Series

Babylon 5, S.M. Stirling's Emberverse, Ranger's Apprentice, something else? Let's talk.

Moderator: caedmon

Harper
Haeropada

Amazon's Wheel of Time Series

Post by Harper »

---

This was one of those series that spanned years in the writing.

The original author died before finishing his opus but left notes for how the series was to be concluded.

My concern with Amazon is that they virtue signal and will likely push their so-called "woke" agenda. There are plenty of themes in the books that would fit under that aegis just the way the series was written.

I'm definitely going to give it a chance, though.

How Amazon handles this series may be a bellwether on how they will handle the Tolkien series which is coming out in less than a year (I read that shooting is now finished).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09F5WS2B5/re ... =pd_gw_unk
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Re: Amazon's Wheel of Time Series

Post by Cimrandir »

I've seen the four available episodes. I read the first two books ages ago in high school but never finished the series so I'll refrain from judging the faithfulness to the books. As a fantasy, it's been interesting and I'll keep watching for such. But man, the whole costuming department needs to be fired. Woof it's bad. I hate everything about Thom and the others aren't much better. Hopefully, they won't be using the same costume director for the LOTR series.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

I haven't watched WOT.

From what I've read in both interviews and the reviews, it sounds like Amazon is pushing wokeness. I'm not going to pay for that.

Shad did a YT on how bad the Heron mark sword and Lan's sword were.

I'm not going to write the WOT series off completely. I'll wait until more episodes and reviews come out.

My concern about the LOTR series has just been upped a notch though.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

I don't know about 'wokeness.' There are more than just straight white guys who are fans of fantasy. I see nothing wrong with making a series recognizing that there's a world market of viewers, and allowing themselves to see people like them represented.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Straelbora wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:11 am I don't know about 'wokeness.'
While I haven't watched the series (and don't plant to) with the exception of Moiraine Damodred I thought the books were absolutely awful in the way they depicted female characters. Rand was poorly written too for the large part.
Honestly it was difficult to believe it was the same author that conceived Matt and Perrin.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

Straelbora wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:11 am I don't know about 'wokeness.' There are more than just straight white guys who are fans of fantasy. I see nothing wrong with making a series recognizing that there's a world market of viewers, and allowing themselves to see people like them represented.

I never suggested otherwise.

The WOT had plenty of diversity--both in terms of cultures and sexual mores--as written.

I think that it added to the books.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Got kinda bored after the fourth episode and haven't finished the series yet. Anyone watch it to the end? Is it worth it to continue?
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain