Con-Safe Ranger's Apprentice Saxe?

Babylon 5, S.M. Stirling's Emberverse, Ranger's Apprentice, something else? Let's talk.

Moderator: caedmon

Manveruon
Thangailhir

Con-Safe Ranger's Apprentice Saxe?

Post by Manveruon »

For all the folks here who are interested in doing a Ranger's Apprentice impression, I happened upon this over on Etsy today. It's rather pricey, in my opinion, but I thought you guys might find it interesting. The "blade" is rubber, so it's not functional, but it's con-safe, so there's that - and the design is strikingly similar in most ways to the saxes used by the Araluen rangers. I also quite like the scabbard.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/206062575/ ... p_mod_opfy
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Kortoso
Haeropada

Re: Con-Safe Ranger's Apprentice Saxe?

Post by Kortoso »

Which con are you going to that doesn't allow peace-bonded steel? That's a little steep for a blade that cannot be used.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Nearly all major conventions don't allow steel weapons these days, unfortunately. Basically anything labeled "Comic-Con", from what I've seen. Last I knew, Dragon*Con was still okay with steel, but that may have changed since I was there in '07. I agree, the price is steep for a prop-only blade, but the design is very close to the RA saxe knives, so I thought it might be of interest to a few folks here.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

I clomped around SD comic-con with razor sharp steel, but I see my local comic-con has such rules now.

"Costume swords must be tied to your costume in such a way that they can't be drawn."

Of course, if a sword or saxe is tied away peacefully, then who's to know the difference? Just wondering....
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.