The beginning of my kit clothing (pic heavy)

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Yavion
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: The beginning of my kit clothing (pic heavy)

Post by Yavion »

Taurinor wrote:Image

My hood is a fairly generic medieval hood made from wool. The gloves are rose gardening gauntlets. They were very, very green when I got them, so I put a coat of saddle tan leather dye on them, which has toned them down a bit. The sword is the Norwich Falchion by Valiant Armory, and I love it. It appears to have been heavily inspired by the Thorpe Falchion, which is on display in Norwich Castle. The sword belt is very basic, just leather straps stitched in two loops around the sheath. I like the set-up, but I’ll be replacing it with something a little longer with a more appropriate buckle and a strap end.
Bold emphasis mine. Where did you get rose gardening gloves? Everywhere I've looked they come in pink or have plastic cuffs. And never mind the fact that they don't come large enough for my paws. Do you have.... tiny hands?!?! ;)
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Yavion wrote:Where did you get rose gardening gloves? Everywhere I've looked they come in pink or have plastic cuffs. And never mind the fact that they don't come large enough for my paws. Do you have.... tiny hands?!?! ;)
Kinda small, yes (I'm hobbit-sized), but I got them off Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006UIT5I ... pi=AC_QL40

It looks like they're discontinued, though. These appear to be the new version - http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00LUUK5V ... SY200_QL40
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Not so much the beginning of my soft kit any more, since it's been over 6(?!) years , but I didn't feel like starting a new topic, so please excuse the necroposting and consider this an update.

I took a picture of the soft kit I used on an overnighter at the beginning of the month (March 7th - 8th). It's made the rounds on FB, but I figured I'd share it here, as well! I was using more medieval kit for this trek, so I've got my chausses and braies instead of my breeches, but there's a whole lot of overlap between my Breelander kit and my 14th century kit!
Soft Kit numbered small.jpg
Soft Kit numbered small.jpg (210.94 KiB) Viewed 5913 times
1. Turnshoes (Medieval High Shoes from Bohemond)
2. Half blanket/Rectangular cloak
3. Linen undertunic
4. Winter grey wool tunic
5. Wool cotehardie, as seen earlier in this thread (can be worn under grey tunic)
6. Wool hood
7. Linen coif
8. Wool chausses
9. Linen braies
10. Leather and wool mittens (made by a friend)
11. Wool 18th century-style stockings
12. Knit wool cap
13. Fingerless knit wool gloves (83% wool and elastic in the cuffs, but they were nice to have)
14. Thick wool booties to sleep in (my toes get cold!)
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Fantastic.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.