The beginning of my kit clothing (pic heavy)

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Re: The beginning of my kit clothing (pic heavy)

Post by wulfgar »

Great look! Seeing those high boots on you makes me wish I had gone that route now,,I'm jealous.
You can't take the sky from me.
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

Great look.
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by RikJohnson »

wulfgar wrote:Great look! Seeing those high boots on you makes me wish I had gone that route now,,I'm jealous.
I have two choices for boots.
I formerly used my biker-boots that I modified, but they shrank so much I needed to cut the seam and will modify them even more.
then I have a set of minetonka ankle-high moccisins I am cutting down to look more Period.

Yes, I know that they are 'modern' in design but rule #1 is "always take care of your feet! You cannot run away from a Russian tank on blisters!" just replace 'tank' with 'freaking huge army of orcs' and the rule remains<g>. So I take care to ensure that my boots or shoes are comfortable and durable.

Of course, I am a craftsman, NOT an artist so my gear never looks as perfect as everyone els's, but it does look worn and used even before I leave the house<G>.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

RikJohnson wrote:
wulfgar wrote:Great look! Seeing those high boots on you makes me wish I had gone that route now,,I'm jealous.
I have two choices for boots.
I formerly used my biker-boots that I modified, but they shrank so much I needed to cut the seam and will modify them even more.
then I have a set of minetonka ankle-high moccisins I am cutting down to look more Period.

Yes, I know that they are 'modern' in design but rule #1 is "always take care of your feet! You cannot run away from a Russian tank on blisters!" just replace 'tank' with 'freaking huge army of orcs' and the rule remains<g>. So I take care to ensure that my boots or shoes are comfortable and durable.

Of course, I am a craftsman, NOT an artist so my gear never looks as perfect as everyone els's, but it does look worn and used even before I leave the house<G>.
I think the amateurish, half-assed look of the gear that I make gives it a much more authentic look for someone who is supposed to spend a lot of time alone in the woods.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Taurinor, I LOVE the new picture! You look phenomenal! Are those the "Medieval High Shoes" from Boots By Bohemond? They look great! I may have to invest in a pair myself after seeing yours. I love my current boots (Franken-boots though they may be), but those would be a great alternative for me.

Overall, a very historically inspired look that also fits the bill for a ranger nicely. Well done!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Thanks! That means a lot, especially from someone with such a well thought out kit as yourself.
Manveruon wrote:Are those the "Medieval High Shoes" from Boots By Bohemond? They look great! I may have to invest in a pair myself after seeing yours. I love my current boots (Franken-boots though they may be), but those would be a great alternative for me.
They are, indeed. I like them quite a bit. While I wouldn't call them boots, they come well above the ankle, which I prefer. They actually hit my shin at about the same spot as my everyday work boots do.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

Agreed,

I can't say I'm skilled at crafting anything complex but I have good resourcefulness so before I had custom ranger/ Strider boots made I simply improvised. Whether purchased or crafted...kit speaks for it's owner when he is silent.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

I have been wanting to replace my tunic for a while, so when I found a long wool coat at a thrift store, I bought it and took it apart for material. This is an in progress picture:

As you can see, the body is all put together. It's loosely based on some of the Herjolfsnes finds, with the 14th century transitional sleeves. It's more fitted than my current tunic, but I don't know that it's quite tailored enought to be a true cotehardie. It's pretty heavy wool, so I won't be wearing it in the field anytime soon.

Now I just have to finish all the edges, then make a mess ton of buttons and button holes (I pinned it closed for the picture). Hopefully by the time I finish it it'll be cold enough to wear it!
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Wow very nice job! I can realy see you are doing the research and turning out a fantastic peice with a lot of thought, Keep it up Ranger! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Spectacular work.

Diggin' the smile. It's got *You don't want to know what that sound was* written all over it...
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

I finished the buttons and buttonholes on the front:

There are 26 cloth buttons made out of the same wool as the rest of the cote. I still haven't done the buttons for the sleeves. The fabric is still pretty stiff, but I'm hoping it'll relax after a while.
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

Coming along well
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Wow, 26?! And I thought I had it bad, having to work nineteen buttonholes for my kneebreeches. I salute you for your perseverance (and sore fingers, too, I imagine)!
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Eothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Eothain »

Nicely done! It turned out looking great!
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Looking awesome!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.