New Boots!

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ghostsoldier
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: New Boots!

Post by Ghostsoldier »

That's just frakking spectacular work, my friend! :P

Rob
"Nothing's forgotten."
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Thanks again folks! I can’t wait to get out and put some miles under them!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

ooooooooo

:)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Oh, very well done! They look spectacular!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Turgolanas
Dúnadan

Post by Turgolanas »

Manveruon wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:25 am Thanks again folks! I can’t wait to get out and put some miles under them!
How are they holding up? I'm looking at doing something similar (my current pair got too close to a fire, and are not recoverable). Curious if the patches over the strap holes helped with waterproofing especially.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Ah yes! I should probably do an in-depth follow-up, shouldn’t I? If I can remember when I get home, I will try to take some photographs of them currently. This would also be a good excuse for me to take them down into the workshop to clean and condition them, since I’ve been pretty remiss about that since my re-build.

In short though, they’ve held up really really well! That being said, if I ever do it again (and it seems quite likely I will), I would probably do just about everything differently, starting with choosing different base boots altogether. Mainly, the system of crisscrossed laces up the leg just aren’t ideal, I think. It’s needlessly complex, takes a long time to get in and out of, and causes rather pronounced gaps to form between the sides of the leg and the tongue, particularly down near the ankle. Since I made my last post, I added some smaller laces down in that area, right at the ankle, just to help tighten everything up down there, and they work okay, but I’d just as soon use a totally different method in future to eliminate the need for this altogether.

As for the panels I added inside the lacing holes on the foot of the shoe part itself… unfortunately, the answer is no, they did not help waterproof the boots much if any, it seems. They DO, however, prevent dirt and gravel from getting into the boots quite nicely, so I’m not sorry I put them in - but next time, I think I’m going to simply aim for a pair of base boots that don’t have openings like this in the foot section at all.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Turgolanas
Dúnadan

Post by Turgolanas »

Manveruon wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:54 pm Ah yes! I should probably do an in-depth follow-up, shouldn’t I? If I can remember when I get home, I will try to take some photographs of them currently. This would also be a good excuse for me to take them down into the workshop to clean and condition them, since I’ve been pretty remiss about that since my re-build.

In short though, they’ve held up really really well! That being said, if I ever do it again (and it seems quite likely I will), I would probably do just about everything differently, starting with choosing different base boots altogether. Mainly, the system of crisscrossed laces up the leg just aren’t ideal, I think. It’s needlessly complex, takes a long time to get in and out of, and causes rather pronounced gaps to form between the sides of the leg and the tongue, particularly down near the ankle. Since I made my last post, I added some smaller laces down in that area, right at the ankle, just to help tighten everything up down there, and they work okay, but I’d just as soon use a totally different method in future to eliminate the need for this altogether.

As for the panels I added inside the lacing holes on the foot of the shoe part itself… unfortunately, the answer is no, they did not help waterproof the boots much if any, it seems. They DO, however, prevent dirt and gravel from getting into the boots quite nicely, so I’m not sorry I put them in - but next time, I think I’m going to simply aim for a pair of base boots that don’t have openings like this in the foot section at all.
Good to know! My current boots lace similarly to yours, and I have found that it is a pain. Maybe lacing up the side on a solid piece moccasin style boot would work better? For now I think I'm going to turn my current boots into gaiters, and wear them over work boots until I figure out a better idea.

Other than the holes in the foot section, did you have any leakage from the sole? Viking leathercrafts has several boots that are solid up to the ankle, which isn't too bad if the seams don't leak.