In Search of the Many-Rayed Star

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: In Search of the Many-Rayed Star

Post by Greg »

That was a very generous gift, and a deserving owner. Well done, all around, gents. Enjoy it, Manveruon!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

Awesome!
Rarnir
Wayfarer

Post by Rarnir »

Iodo wrote: so maybe it's more plausible that the middle earth silver star broach ends up with lot's of different interpretations, shapes, styles etc... and that the thing that makes a ranger recognizable isn't the exact design of the star but the things Tolkien is specific on; the material it's made from and the way it's worn by the ranger?
I was just thinking the same thing. The fact that there is no concrete description of the star broaches suggests to me that while they all had "many rays" and were silver, that's where the similarities ended. I can imagine some might have been handed down from parent to child and others were freshly made as a "graduation" present or a coming of age gift to a new ranger. I think individuality in the star broaches is not only lore friendly but breathes some extra life into it.
"A little apart the Rangers sat, silent, in an ordered company, armed with spear and bow and sword. They were clad in cloaks of dark grey, and their hoods were cast now over helm and head."
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Yeah, I honestly really like this idea. The concept that there was no one standardized pattern for them, but like... if you had a star made from silver and it was pinned to your cloak, folks would know you were a Ranger. Or at least other Rangers would.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

OOOOOOOOKAY. So I keep meaning to post about this, but life has really been... something... lately, and I just keep forgetting.

After a bit of back-and-forth, the gentleman I had been talking to at Shadowstar Studio sent me a photo (below) of his finalized design. It’s still not exactly what I had in mind, but I do think it would make a lovely star brooch for anyone who might be looking to add one to their kit, and he’s willing to make a run of them for very reasonable prices. I’m currently planning to get one myself, even though I now have the beautiful silver one from Eofor, mainly just so I can fulfill the original intent of my discussion with the maker, and also so that I can have a secondary brooch in case I don’t want to wear the really really nice one out for some event or other where it might have the potential to get damaged or lost or so forth.

He is offering these as pins/brooches or as pendants, and you may request a stone of your choice for the center! They come in pewter, bronze, or silver-plated bronze!
Prices are tentative, but they should be somewhere in the ballpark of:
- $30 to $40 for pewter
- $50 to $60 in bronze or sterling-plated bronze
Of course that also depends on the type of stone you might choose for the center.

If anyone is interested in ordering one, feel free to let me know and I will try to get a list together so I we can put in an order with him! Otherwise you are welcome to contact him directly through his shop site: http://www.shadowstarstudio.com/
Attachments
5911A962-066E-4A88-AEE8-09B297C21588.jpeg
5911A962-066E-4A88-AEE8-09B297C21588.jpeg (85.02 KiB) Viewed 10231 times
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Ohtarvarno
Wayfarer

Post by Ohtarvarno »

Found this 1960's brooch on etsy today. Not sure how strong the pin will be, what it's made from and whether it will hold a cloak in place but thought it was worth a look. Not too expensive. Will hopefully arrive in about two weeks.

Just shows it is worth keeping a look out for vintage items that may fit the bill.
Attachments
il_794xN.2537181177_bsca.jpg
il_794xN.2537181177_bsca.jpg (59 KiB) Viewed 9585 times
Ohtarvarno
Wayfarer

Post by Ohtarvarno »

My etsy find arrived today.
Attachments
IMG_20201212_113508_kindlephoto-83401575.jpg
IMG_20201212_113508_kindlephoto-83401575.jpg (149.89 KiB) Viewed 9257 times
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

It's beautiful!
Frodo lives!
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

That’s fantastic!
Ghostsoldier
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Ghostsoldier »

It looks great!

Rob
"Nothing's forgotten."
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Awesome :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Wow, I really like that! Great find!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

That looks lovely Ohtarvarno! What a cool find. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Going back to the idea of a historical precedent for a star, I did find this rather cool looking Macedonian motif.

Vergina Sun or the Argead Star - Wikipedia

Argead Star.jpg
Argead Star.jpg (48.33 KiB) Viewed 7655 times
It's definitely many-rayed as there are 16 points which is a lot but it looks really cool and it has the bonus of being thought to be the royal symbol of ancient Macedonia which is pretty neat. I don't think the Professor had Macedonia in mind specifically but it does sort of have that Gondorian pseudo-mediterranean flair.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

How cool! I had no idea! It does kind of seem like the thing the Professor would have known and might have drawn inspiration from.