Leather work help?

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Will o’ the Wild
Wayfarer

Leather work help?

Post by Will o’ the Wild »

Ok, I scored some scrap leather of decent sizes from my local hardware store/thrift store. Some was labeled “lace leather” which I think is oil tanned. The other is latigo and some of those pieces are a little thicker - I’m thinking they might make good soles and the oil tanned good uppers. So what patterns has anyone had success with for footwear? I don’t think there’s enough for anything more than shoes/short boots, but we all know I really want - “high boots of supple leather”. I’m pretty much a rookie in any serious leather work. I plan to make a small pouch for archery things first. (It was one of my New Years 2020 goals. Remember those? ha.) I am wondering if once I make a low boot, it would be possible to attach more leather at some point for the shafts? The oil tanned is nice and dark, so I think I could get a decent match since I have some walnut dye that I made early this fall and some vinegaroon that have been sitting around waiting to be used. Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide; I can’t say enough good about this forum.
Ghostsoldier
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Leather work help?

Post by Ghostsoldier »

Several members here have constructed their own footwear, and a few have actually added extra leather shafts to the Viking lowboot or turnshoe style...hopefully they'll weigh in here for you with some advice.

Good luck! :P

Rob
"Nothing's forgotten."
Will o’ the Wild
Wayfarer

I might have gotten a little over enthusiastic. After mapping out the leather, it doesn’t look like I have enough in the right configuration to do everything I would like. Oh well, it’s probably for the best, I’ll work on a simple pouch to add to my quiver for now. I still am intrigued by the idea of adding shafts to a pair of decent low boots.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Hey, overenthusiastic is better than underenthusiastic, I think! :lol:

At any rate, if you DO decide to make your own boots at some point, here are a couple good resouorces for where to start on that! I've been thinking of trying my hand at it for a while myself, and after digging into the tutorial here I really do think I could manage it. Personally I would probably change a few little details to help make them look a little less "Ren-faire standard uniform" looking (like doing a different lacing system than the typical buttons you usually see on these), but overall it seems like a really solid basis for some great pseudo-historically-inspired fantasy boots!

https://www.seamlyne.com/design/costume ... _index.asp

http://middleearthrangers.org/forum/vie ... 3&start=90

http://middleearthrangers.org/forum/vie ... php?t=2656

And then, as for adding taller uppers onto existing low boots, here's the thread about my process doing just that! It starts with my old versions that I did several years back, and then it has updates at the end from my latest attempt to completely re-do them!

http://middleearthrangers.org/forum/vie ... =25&t=2480
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Will o’ the Wild
Wayfarer

Oh yes that looks just the thing, thank you! Looks like I have some reading to look forward to. And I was hoping you would respond, I have admired that project of yours, adding the shafts to the low boots. Can I ask are the two edges just butted together and then stitched? I can’t quite tell from the photos since the leather is dark-and looks great! Is it wiggly at the juncture? Or do the straps further up hold things in place overall? Do you find the juncture drafty or does it let in dust or debris? Or is it far enough up that it’s not a problem? I was considering kind of overlapping the sections to make it more secure but maybe that’s not necessary? Ha - sorry to bombard you with questions.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

No worries!

So yes, the first time I did just butt the two edges against each other and sew them like that. I tried to glue a narrow strip of leather along the inside of the seam for reinforcement, but the glue failed almost immediately and the strip came off. The second time around I went ahead and glued that strip in BEFORE I sewed that seam together, so I ended up sewing through the outer layer AND the reinforcement strip, which I am confident will yield much better results. This is honestly how I should have done it to begin with, but live and learn I suppose. Luckily I never had any issue with dirt or debris coming in through that seam, but I was a little concerned at the end there that the stitching would come undone and the seam would completely give out. This time, in addition to sewing in the reinforcement strip, I used smaller, tighter stitches as well, and I'm hoping that will make them more durable. One way or the other, the construction this time around is leagues better than last time.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Will o’ the Wild
Wayfarer

Ah! That makes sense. Thanks, now I really have some thinking to do.