New Tunic

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Shadrack
Dúnadan

New Tunic

Post by Shadrack »

So after about three weeks on/off of sewing I've finally finished a nice new linen under-tunic for my kit. The whole thing is hand stitched and I managed to source a slightly heavier weighted fabric than what I used on my last one so it should be able to withstand a bit more abuse. I also finally managed to achieve an appropriately sized neckline so I no longer have a gaping hole hanging around my shoulders. I really spent a lot of time properly finishing off all of the seams and added a little reinforcement tab on the neck and it was sooo worth it. The whole thing just really feels like a proper garment that somebody could wear day in day out. I want to experiment with some natural dying at some point but I haven't been able to source the materials for such an endeavor yet. I'm thinking that a light brown would look quite nice under my dark green over-tunic. Anyway here are some photos!
tunic1.jpg
tunic1.jpg (250.54 KiB) Viewed 4492 times
tunic2.jpg
tunic2.jpg (240.48 KiB) Viewed 4492 times
tunic3.jpg
tunic3.jpg (202.14 KiB) Viewed 4492 times
tunic5.jpg
tunic5.jpg (212.51 KiB) Viewed 4492 times
Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: New Tunic

Post by Iodo »

Nice work :mrgreen:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Looks great!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

That is some very fine handwork - well done! :mrgreen:

Good luck with the dye!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Oh yeeeaaah that’s nice. Well done! Looks beautifully finished and super practical! I’d be very interested to see what you do with trying to give it a light-brown coloration, if you decide to go that route. I’ve had garbage luck trying to get that color on linen, but I admit that I’ve only ever used modern dyes, so maybe a more period approach will lend better results! I feel like I’ve seen Elleth or Udwin do something like that here in the past, but I can’t recall immediately offhand.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Ghostsoldier
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Ghostsoldier »

Great work, Ranger! :P

Rob
"Nothing's forgotten."
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

That's some nice looking sewing...great commoner style! While linen isn't the greatest at taking color, I've had decent results getting a gray-brown 'butternut' color using English & Black Walnut hulls.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Great job!
Frodo lives!