Fur ideas

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Charlotte
Dúnadan

Fur ideas

Post by Charlotte »

I found this fur coat for literally $12 and obviously couldn't pass that up. It actually fits in the body (this is rare for vintage first for me), though not in the arms. Tempted just to cut the arms off and wear it like that, but I know fur coats of this style aren't very 'period.' so I wanted to pick brains for ideas on what to use it for

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Fur ideas

Post by Elleth »

Is it rabbit? Or can you tell?

... I'd be tempted to cut it into trim for a hood or muffs or a cyclas or something I think.
Any particular cold-weather pieces you're missing?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Charlotte
Dúnadan

Post by Charlotte »

I can't tell - it's possible, but from my understanding it's not that hard to make a lot of different furs (esp. small mammal ones) to look like other ones

Edit: looking at pictures and closely at the garment, yeah, my best guess is rabbit, and I think making rabbit look like mink or sable is a lot more common than the other way around
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Definitely looks like Rabbit to me!

The fellowship left Rivendell with "fur lined cloaks" furnished by Elrond. Maybe some kind of shoulder-hugging mantle to be worn under your cloak, fur-facing-in, for warmth?
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Charlotte
Dúnadan

Post by Charlotte »

Related, does anyone know what these sorts of long sleeveless coats (I'm pretty sure this one is sheep) are called?

Pictured: bear claw Chris lapp wearing one in Jeremiah Johnson

Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

I'd hazard a guess at that just being a fur lined duster but I don't know much of 19th century mountain main clothing so it's just a guess.

You might take some inspiration from the skin garments found at Møgelmose that were dated to the 3rd century. They were sewn with the fur facing inward, contrary to the standard Hollywood barbarian depiction. In the PDF below on page 16 should be an English translation all about it but the photos in the preceding article are nice.

https://www.oldskriftselskabet.dk/Custo ... Vl13GxWUOM
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Charlotte
Dúnadan

Post by Charlotte »

Yeah, for me I think I only ever put fur on the outside of something if there's already fur on the inside (except ruffs and trim, but even then), to accomplish one or all of

- more fur = more warm, and I need more warm (a sneaky layer of polarfleece between if even more is needed)
- I need to shed snow
- I need to keep snow from being driven through what this fur is around