Clothing review - Oldcraft Workshop

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eofor
Haeropada

Clothing review - Oldcraft Workshop

Post by Eofor »

A parcel arrived today containing a stack of textiles! Hooray!
There was a time when I would have viewed buying nice period clothing as a hindrance to more swords but over the years I have come to realise that you look terrible in bad clothes even with a fancy sword but quality clothing can't be faked.

Spending more and more time in freezing conditions had hammered home that my current garb wasn’t sufficient and so I put in an order with Mikhail Starikov from Oldcraft Workshop. I was nervous about this as Russian craftsmen have been difficult for me in the past but in the end I took the chance. I ordered a Bernuthsfeld (7th century) tunic and a pair of classic Thorsberg trousers. I also added a new cloak as the weave on my current historical one wasn’t keeping the alpine wind at bay.

The order took two months from payment to delivery at a cost of roughly $400USD. Now I know some folks here will be squirming at that but I am no tailor and taking into account the cost of the fabric and then the hours it would take me to do an inferior job I was happy to pay.

The clothes are all hand woven, hand sewn and (according to Mikhail) plant dyed. I tried them on today and they are extremely warm. They are made to measure and fit well though the sleeves are a wee bit large and will need some work. I plan to use them for both my living history and also incorporate them into my Middle Earth kit.

All in all I would happily recommend Oldcraft based on my experience though I would of course wait until the current crisis is over.

Some pics (I have no idea why I look so angry - it was bloody hot though)

But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Eofor
Haeropada

Re: Clothing review - Oldcraft Workshop

Post by Eofor »

A close up of the weave and stitching

But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Beautiful stuff, Eofor! That weave is stunning! I bet it's toasty.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Magnificent, just magnificent. The color. The texture. The cut. This looks amazing and you pull it off so well! I can quite clearly see Eofor, Man of Rohan wearing this daily. I love everything about this!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Ghostsoldier
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Ghostsoldier »

Wow... that's some quality stuff, and quality aesthetics. :P

Rob
"Nothing's forgotten."
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

Very nice!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

That is a very nice hoard of new stuff you have, impressive, now all it needs is some road wear to add to the aesthetic :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Yavion

Post by Yavion »

That set looks excellent. Comfy too, which is important.
Tom_Ranger

Post by Tom_Ranger »

I like your use of the fall middle earth tones.
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
Yavion

Post by Yavion »

Forgot to ask, can we get a breakdown of what all you got?
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

As ever thanks to everyone for your kind words. I think that even though the two pursuits share a lot of gear that I am beginning to finally see Eofor in all this.

Yavion wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:51 pm Forgot to ask, can we get a breakdown of what all you got?
As in the items I received in this order or all that I am wearing in the photos?
Yavion

Post by Yavion »

Eofor wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:07 am As ever thanks to everyone for your kind words. I think that even though the two pursuits share a lot of gear that I am beginning to finally see Eofor in all this.

Yavion wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:51 pm Forgot to ask, can we get a breakdown of what all you got?
As in the items I received in this order or all that I am wearing in the photos?
Short answer? Yes.
What you got from the order, to give an idea of what you're getting for the money. Then what all you're rocking in case someone wanted to go for a similar look.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Okay well.

The items from the order are the Red fringed cloak/blanket, The red tunic and the olive Thorsberg pants.

The rest of the ensemble consists of
- Brown woolen Skjoldehamn hood made by a local reenactor"
- Cloak pin carved by myself
- Boar Brooch is by Gulli
- Spear is a Paul Binns
- Simple raw linen undertunic made by Slav Medieval Shop
- Belt is a copy of of a 7th century Anglo Saxon buckle from Gilton made by Ganderwick creations and fitted to a belt by Gallybagger leather
- Sword belt is made using fittings from Tod Cutler and was done by a local fellow Vaughan Morphett. The sword is a custom valiant armoury longsword.
- Legwraps are from Othala craft, they used to be a lovely yellow but like a lot of plant dyes have faded over time
- Lastly there are pair of Medieval boots form Boots by Bohemond
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

That is simply exquisite!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
OParnoShoshoi
Dúnadan

Post by OParnoShoshoi »

That weave looks incredible, but I want to hear more about that shed behind you. It resembles a vardo.
(INSERT WITTICISM HERE)