Clothes vs Costume

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Cimrandir
Haeropada

Re: Clothes vs Costume

Post by Cimrandir »

Thanks Iodo!
Iodo wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:31 am I agree, there are certain situations where modern is absolutely best, footwear is a good example most of the time, and in my line of work a big thing is safety, but there are also situations where old is best, I often find the linen/wool combo to be a better base-layer for hiking, it is heavier than your polyester/polyamide fleece but it does seem to preform better.
I've seen many wacky pairs of steel-toe boots but I have to admit, seeing a pair of steel-toe turnshoes would take the cake. My own pair of steel-toes is just a simple pair of modern work boots.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Cimrandir wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:39 pm I've seen many wacky pairs of steel-toe boots but I have to admit, seeing a pair of steel-toe turnshoes would take the cake. My own pair of steel-toes is just a simple pair of modern work boots.
steel-toe turnshoes, you shouldn't put ideas like that in my head :lol: but such a thing would come in very handy mining and prospecting
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Yavion
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Yavion »

Iodo wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:55 pm
Cimrandir wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:39 pm I've seen many wacky pairs of steel-toe boots but I have to admit, seeing a pair of steel-toe turnshoes would take the cake. My own pair of steel-toes is just a simple pair of modern work boots.
steel-toe turnshoes, you shouldn't put ideas like that in my head :lol: but such a thing would come in very handy mining and prospecting
Wouldn't those be sabatons?
Tom_Ranger

Post by Tom_Ranger »

Iodo wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:55 pm steel-toe turnshoes, you shouldn't put ideas like that in my head :lol: but such a thing would come in very handy mining and prospecting
If you show up to work in your factor wearing the "older style" of steel toe shows, make sure you take a picture of yourself with them BEFORE you get fired.
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Tom_Ranger wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:39 am
Iodo wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:55 pm steel-toe turnshoes, you shouldn't put ideas like that in my head :lol: but such a thing would come in very handy mining and prospecting
If you show up to work in your factor wearing the "older style" of steel toe shows, make sure you take a picture of yourself with them BEFORE you get fired.

I'll try not to forget :lol:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Rangerofthesea
Wayfarer

Post by Rangerofthesea »

Very interesting discussion. I'm not a fan of "costume" pieces personally. I like all my kit to be as usable as possible.

I currenrly work as a ranger manning a nature reserve on a small uninhabited island so am getting to test a lot of my gear for durability and comfort. I have modern gear with me as well but prefer older clothing.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Well that sounds like the best of all worlds! What a fun thing to be doing. :mrgreen:
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Tom_Ranger

Post by Tom_Ranger »

Rangerofthesea wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:29 pm Very interesting discussion. I'm not a fan of "costume" pieces personally. I like all my kit to be as usable as possible.

I currenrly work as a ranger manning a nature reserve on a small uninhabited island so am getting to test a lot of my gear for durability and comfort. I have modern gear with me as well but prefer older clothing.
Yeah, and that is the way I think about it too. Of course modern clothes has their place; right tool for the right job. But there is a big diff between buying what LOOKS like a ranger kit and what actually is. Looks might be cheap thin cotton with a printed stitch and a zipper on the front. But clothes are much more functional and practical.
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
Tom_Ranger

Post by Tom_Ranger »

Rangerofthesea wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:29 pm I currenrly work as a ranger manning a nature reserve on a small uninhabited island so am getting to test a lot of my gear for durability and comfort. I have modern gear with me as well but prefer older clothing.
How did you land a gig like that?

I don't think I have it quite that good, but I do own 18 acres of forest on a mountain, and it's surrounded by private forest, and those properties are surrounded by national forest. Can't even hear a modern vehicle in any direction. It's about 2 miles to the nearest remote road. So I do have a nice environment for me as a ranger to vall home.
Rangerofthesea
Wayfarer

Post by Rangerofthesea »

Got lucky I guess. I have been studying forestry and wildlife conservation since last year so when I saw this posting advertised I jumped on it, they liked my background of remote and self sufficient living (greq up near the woods, last 6 years living on a sailboat). It's quite a harsh environment but I love it
Charlotte
Dúnadan

Post by Charlotte »

What's the title of the position 👀 I'm thinking of getting a bachelor's in biodiversity and earth science and that seems like the kind of thing I'd want to do
Tom_Ranger

Post by Tom_Ranger »

Sorrel wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:54 pm What's the title of the position 👀 I'm thinking of getting a bachelor's in biodiversity and earth science and that seems like the kind of thing I'd want to do
Will that be in The Shire, Rivendell or Gondor?
Rangerofthesea
Wayfarer

Post by Rangerofthesea »

Sorrel wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:54 pm What's the title of the position 👀 I'm thinking of getting a bachelor's in biodiversity and earth science and that seems like the kind of thing I'd want to do
My official title for this post is Estate Warden as I'm managing the island, the whole island is classed as a nature reserve and has no residents. If I was on the mainland I'd be called a ranger, same role with woodland management, trapping animals, path and trail maintenance, keeping an eye on visitors that kind of thing with a few extra responsibilities as we live on site for 9 months of the year so vehicle and infrastructure maintenance added in.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

steel-toe turnshoes, you shouldn't put ideas like that in my head
.... well now I've seen everything.
steel-toed-turnshoes.jpg
steel-toed-turnshoes.jpg (115.45 KiB) Viewed 11825 times

https://www.eysenkleider.com/accessoirs/
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

...well THAT'S different.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.