Tall Boot Problems

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

ChoseyChas
Wanderer

Tall Boot Problems

Post by ChoseyChas »

So I've recently made a small amount of additions to my kit, one of which being new boots, however I've run into a problem and would like to know if anyone else faces it, and if so what their solution is(though I know the answer for most will likely be legwraps). So, how does everyone keep their pants from rolling up and bunching when they put on their taller boots?
Udwin
Vendor

Re: Tall Boot Problems

Post by Udwin »

'Riding pants' often have a 'stirrup' that goes under the instep and keeps pants from bunching or riding up.
I suppose alternately you could tuck your pants into your socks before putting on your boots.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Udwin wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:13 am I suppose alternately you could tuck your pants into your socks before putting on your boots.

That's what I do with my pirate boots, it's not historical but it works
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Erfaron
Dúnadan

Post by Erfaron »

ChoseyChas wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:36 pm So I've recently made a small amount of additions to my kit, one of which being new boots, however I've run into a problem and would like to know if anyone else faces it, and if so what their solution is(though I know the answer for most will likely be legwraps). So, how does everyone keep their pants from rolling up and bunching when they put on their taller boots?
You could also just tie a small piece of cordage around the bottom of your pants to stop them from riding up if you don’t want the leg wraps, just make sure you don’t tie it too tight
"There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go." -Gandalf, Chapter 7, The Hobbit
ChoseyChas
Wanderer

Post by ChoseyChas »

Udwin wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:13 am I suppose alternately you could tuck your pants into your socks before putting on your boots.
This is what I have used so far when wearing, good to hear I'm not the only one!
Tom_Ranger
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Tom_Ranger »

Iodo wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:54 am That's what I do with my pirate boots, it's not historical but it works
I was thinking about your boots. If I recall, you use modern boots with a wrap or spatz. Have you ever thought of a leather wrap that wraps around your leg similar to a cloth leg wrap? Ic could still have lace holes and be laced with your boots all the time; wrap them up the leg and finish with the laces.

No I didin't work it all out and it's only in my head but thought I would throw that out into the mix.
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

My pirate boots are a cheap rubbish costume set, you are correct that I use modern walking boots for my ranger kit, I did use to use leather leg wraps, and they did work fine as gaiters, but they were heavy, didn't breath and made leather creaky noises, what I use now (seen here: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4602) when made from dense tightly woven or felted wool to avoid the snagging issue is every bit as good, but avoids the initial problems with the leather ones. Because dwarves weren't specifically described as wearing "knee high boots of leather" I think I can get away with leg wraps of some sort and ordinary height boots
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
ChoseyChas
Wanderer

Post by ChoseyChas »

I have taken to the "pull your socks over them" method so far, and it works well enough that I don't see much need to change, I was just hoping to not get any funny looks from other Rangers if anything happened to the point of them being seen.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: