Some New(ish) projects

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Iodo
Thangailhir

Some New(ish) projects

Post by Iodo »

The first thing is a sewing kit, inspired by Greg's tool roll. I actually made both projects (the second will come later) quite a while ago but haven't found the time to post them. (Sorry for the first picture being terrible)
IMG_20180608_194329.jpg
IMG_20180608_194329.jpg (42.3 KiB) Viewed 18142 times

The kit roll's inside a waterproof waxed canvas outer layer and contains patches for most of the fabrics used in my kit. I have already used it to make repairs several times. Admittedly the stainless multi-point leather punch wouldn't be found in middle earth, so thats a bit of dwarvish magic :mrgreen:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Some New(ish) projects

Post by Elleth »

Nice! I like your thread winders especially. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Elleth wrote:Nice! I like your thread winders especially. :)
Thanks Elleth, there made from some oak trim that came from an old table.
Glad you can see the images since I tryed something new (hosting on imgur) and wasn't sure if it had worked :lol:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Time for the other thing while I remember:
I've wanted to make this ever since seeing Ori's writing kit in the WETA books, the ability to draw maps, make notes and the occasional contract would be quite important to the travelling dwarf.
The case is leather thats been hevily treated with dubbin, when rolled up its reasonably water resistant and stands up to heavy rain when its on my belt, however i 'd likely keep it safely inside my pack.

Inside I have a dip pen, graphite and paper. The only thing that doesn't go inside is the ink, that's stored somewhere else in case a leak damages important information (the drawings and stuff are just examples and nothing to do with middle earth, I hope to make some maps in runes).

I haven't fully decided on what to keep inside yet, the first thing I'd like to change is the ink, or at least the container and I'm not sure if a quill pen would be more middle earth or if dwarves would have had metal dip pens. Opinions please.
Elwindil
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Elwindil »

I think that a metal pen nib would be well within the abilities of a crafty dwarf to create. as for the ink, perhaps keeping ink powder instead of liquid ink that you can just reconstitute with a bit of water would be the way to go
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

fun!

It's my memory metal nibs existed in period as well: they were just much rarer. Ah -
https://scribescribbling.wordpress.com/ ... h-century/

Simpler than that model, but existing nonetheless.
I think a handful of real quills and a little quill knife might "feel" better, but a metal one - especially with any modern marks sanded off- seems entirely defensible. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Nice, I think I'll stick with metal, it has a more dwarvish feel to it. Powdered ink, that sounds great, not much chance of a leak accident, I'll do some research.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

LOVE the sewing roll! You’re definitely equipped for some serious tailoring!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Greg wrote:LOVE the sewing roll! You’re definitely equipped for some serious tailoring!
Thank you :P yes that's the idea, I wish i 'd had it in Scotland when I had to mend a massif hole in one of my leather gaiters caused by jumping a barbed wire fence.
SierraStrider

Post by SierraStrider »

Man, I love that scribing equipment. I've absolutely got to start learning to work leather, and sew better in general. These little bags have me in fits of jealousy.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

SierraStrider wrote:Man, I love that scribing equipment. I've absolutely got to start learning to work leather, and sew better in general. These little bags have me in fits of jealousy.
Thanks so much :P

everything you would need to make them is it the top kit (basically punch, needle and thread), it's just cheep chrome tanned upholstery leather, not authentic but it works, you should give it a go
SierraStrider

Post by SierraStrider »

I think I will. I've been stuck in Southern California for work (making maps with more efficient, if less fun, tools) and there's a leather store that should be easy to take a detour to on my way back North this weekend.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

SierraStrider wrote:I think I will. I've been stuck in Southern California for work (making maps with more efficient, if less fun, tools) and there's a leather store that should be easy to take a detour to on my way back North this weekend.
Go for it :mrgreen: