I makeded this. Breeish Wood Axe Sheath

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

caedmon
Balku'npâ

I makeded this. Breeish Wood Axe Sheath

Post by caedmon »

Just built a wood Axe sheath based on Haibathu(?) Norse finds. For my breelander kit. Still finishing up, but I like it.

Based off research from these guys:
https://sagy.vikingove.cz/pouzdra-na-sekery/
IMG_9416.jpg
IMG_9416.jpg (40.33 KiB) Viewed 8285 times
IMG_9414.JPG
IMG_9414.JPG (53.84 KiB) Viewed 8285 times
IMG_9413.jpg
IMG_9413.jpg (37.12 KiB) Viewed 8285 times
IMG_9412.JPG
IMG_9412.JPG (52.64 KiB) Viewed 8285 times
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Asbjorn
Dúnadan

Re: I makeded this. Breeish Wood Axe Sheath

Post by Asbjorn »

Nice work looks clean^^

What kind of wood did you use? Did you do it in one piece oe did you glue on the holes for the rope?
"Few now remember them... yet still some go wandering, sons of forgotten kings walking in loneliness, guarding from evil things folk that are heedless." Tom Bombadil on Rangers
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Asbjorn wrote:Nice work looks clean^^

What kind of wood did you use? Did you do it in one piece oe did you glue on the holes for the rope?
This was made from some hickory I had left over from another project.

It’s all one piece, and was done with modern tools, mostly a router, power drill, and scroll saw.

I intend to finish it up with chisels and files to give it a more hand made look.
-Jack Horner

Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

nice work :P

I'll be interested to know how well this method work's over time because I've only ever used leather ones
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Iodo wrote:nice work :P

I'll be interested to know how well this method work's over time because I've only ever used leather ones

Thank you, my good Dwarf. I will let you know. I have already experienced the blade popping out, so I will be making more of a trough for it to sit more securely.

...but you don’t want something out of wood. A true Naugrim needs something like this:
2F828EB6-95EE-407E-8F19-07C69A2C2D64.png
2F828EB6-95EE-407E-8F19-07C69A2C2D64.png (201.72 KiB) Viewed 8245 times
Source: https://sagy.vikingove.cz/plechova-pouzdra-na-sekery/
Last edited by caedmon on Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Went back and found the phone edit I did was atrocious.
-Jack Horner

Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

now you've got me tempted to start another project :lol:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

That's lovely, and very unique! It'll definitely stand out in a crowd filled with everything-leather, axe sheaths included. I think it's great, and fits Bree well!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

caedmon wrote:
Iodo wrote:nice work :P
I have already experienced the blade popping out, so I will be making more of a trough for it to sit more securely.
Nice work Caedmon, I have several of these and the design you chose is the trickiest of the lot for keeping the blade in. A deep trough helps but I've found the trick is to tie it quite solidly to the poll - go all around it until it simply can't move. It can take a little while to remove but my thinking has always been that if I suddenly needed to deploy it as a weapon then the axe would destroy the cover in the first contact anyway.

The bottom one here went on day trip with me, was used a lot for hooking trees to pull myself across gullies etc and didn't come loose the whole day.

But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Looks very nice! It's cool to see something in wood rather than the typical leather!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Very cool!
Those look like a lot of delicate carving!

I'm curious about the sheet brass/bronze ones - is there any chance there was originally leather in there as well? Something like the edge of seax sheath?

Also, Is there any real reason a culture might prefer one of these styles over another?
eg - "this style works better for a belt axe for processing fire wood, this one for a felling axe you carry, etc..."

I can't *think* of such a reason beyond the availability of one material over another and an individual's fondness for bling.
But am I missing something?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.