The Ceresilk tarp

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

caedmon
Balku'npâ

Re: The Ceresilk tarp

Post by caedmon »

SierraStrider wrote: Caedmon asserts, "we do have recovered silk in northern dark age & viking contexts, so since that's how it got there in historic times, trade routes and is a plausible explanation for elites"

Asserts?!??! Am I a minstrel that I Assert? :D Here's an article that details some VIking silk. https://www.archaeology.wiki/blog/2013/ ... ng-burial/
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Darnokthemage
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Darnokthemage »

I know the ancient greeks sometimes made silk from wild silk worms, so i suppose it could fit. Tho, i still think it feels too "Oriental" to fit in the shire.
Artist, larper and history lover.
Charlotte
Dúnadan

Post by Charlotte »

My understanding of viking-age silk is that it was used judiciously, mostly as decorative trim and the like rather than for full garments

However, there are fully silk lèine (which can be something from a chiton-like garment to a medieval shift) mentioned several times in some of the Irish literature, like the Tain Bo Cuailgne, such as the fairy woman in a green silk lèine with embroidery of gold thread and a purple brat (cloak), an outfit which must have been incredibly expensive in the minds of the audience at the time

In terms of LOTR applications, I've wondered how a merino wool/silk blend, perhaps with a bit of lanolin, might function as a (somewhat diminished) galadhrim cloak
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

In terms of LOTR applications, I've wondered how a merino wool/silk blend, perhaps with a bit of lanolin, might function as a (somewhat diminished) galadhrim cloak
ooooooh.... that sounds amazing. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Sorrel wrote: In terms of LOTR applications, I've wondered how a merino wool/silk blend, perhaps with a bit of lanolin, might function as a (somewhat diminished) galadhrim cloak
I actually have a raw-silk/linen blend scarf (yard square I use as a scarf anyway), and in terms warmth it actually seems to function better that the exact same thing made instead from wool of the same thickness
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Charlotte
Dúnadan

Post by Charlotte »

All the silk/wool blends I see are rather thin and aimed at couture, so I suspect it would need to be hand woven (more accurate to the books as well, I suppose). Better add a loom to the list...
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

it might be worth looking at upholstery suppliers if you're after something thicker? that's where I get most of mine
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Charlotte
Dúnadan

Post by Charlotte »

No such luck, unfortunately. It seems silk/wool blends are a rather niche luxury fabric and not much else