New Projects in the Works

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: New Projects in the Works

Post by Manveruon »

Greg wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:14 am What I would recommend going forward would be to ditch the slits and instead sew on stylized belt loops. Every time we stitch something to the outside, it stiffens things, rather than allowing that crumpling. It's fantastic craftsmanship...I just don't see the functional need to cut slits in the sides. Looking forward to seeing the final product!
Yep, that's definitely one route I've been considering heavily. I don't want a TON of them, but I also think I can incorporate at least one into the top border and one into the bottom, that will match the center loop and continue that motif. I think I still might go ahead and pass the straps through the body of the quiver in a couple places on the next model, so as to avoid sewing TOO many loops to the outside, but it's definitely going to be minimal.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Awesome - even if just "photoshoot ready" I'm glad to hear you've recovered it! I can't wait to see what it looks like!

I was torn between slits and sewn-on tabs myself on a project a year or two back, and ultimately went the latter way. I'd always been kinda been dissatisfied with the aesthetics of it, and wondered how it would have gone had I done slits instead.

Thank you VERY much for exploring the road-not-taken and showing your results.
Amazing how much we all learn from each other. :mrgreen:
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Sorry, late to the party but is it possible to incorporate a patch over the top of the misaligned strap slots and redo them on the patch? It's a compromise sure, but could you make it resemble a field repair? Add to the character of the gear?

Could even rivet a metal plate over the top in a pinch, and even if it irks you to the point you can't stand it it would probably make it saleable at the least?
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Excellent suggestions - in the end though I opted to simply finish the quiver, warts and all, and I have used it on a couple recent outings, It’s highly functional, but I’m definitely calling it a learning experience and probably moving on from there soon. I started to cut out a second one with some modifications that I think will help it function slightly better, but that’s on the back burner for now.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains