belt pouch

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Shadrack
Dúnadan

belt pouch

Post by Shadrack »

A little belt pouch i made recently. Pretty simple enough, the general shape was inspired by Elleth and Manveruon's designs. The contents are by no means set in stone but at the moment consists of a little fire kit.
24A74E89-F101-47FA-A5D9-1FA4939B4171.jpg
24A74E89-F101-47FA-A5D9-1FA4939B4171.jpg (122.67 KiB) Viewed 5813 times
D42B30D1-E581-4096-910E-D7F46374E0AB.jpg
D42B30D1-E581-4096-910E-D7F46374E0AB.jpg (162.51 KiB) Viewed 5813 times
04353FC7-0CE1-462A-A5CE-BC4D28C2FF12.jpg
04353FC7-0CE1-462A-A5CE-BC4D28C2FF12.jpg (129.76 KiB) Viewed 5813 times
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Re: belt pouch

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Wow great work!
Frodo lives!
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I love it! Looks beautifully simple and functional! I’ve become very fond of that turned-out style of leatherwork, and I’m kind of kicking myself for not doing that on my most recent pouch.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

nice work :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Oh I love it! :mrgreen:
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

“Small” and “simple” are by no means a mark of lower quality or functionality. I think it’s spectacular!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Ghostsoldier
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Ghostsoldier »

It looks awesome! :P

Rob
"Nothing's forgotten."
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Greg wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:23 pm “Small” and “simple” are by no means a mark of lower quality or functionality. I think it’s spectacular!
Heartily agreed!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Almost daily I am inspired by the members of this forum. I love the look of that turned out pouch! I just might do the same myself!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Cimrandir wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:17 am I just might do the same myself!
I’m in a similar boat!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Maybe I’ve just been staring at turn-shoes for too long but something seems rather authentic about doing it that way. At least for an earlier period of pouches.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Cimrandir wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:15 pm Maybe I’ve just been staring at turn-shoes for too long but something seems rather authentic about doing it that way. At least for an earlier period of pouches.
Yep, I feel you here. I’m very much of the same mind. Especially because it seems they often hid any otherwise visible stitching on leather goods from the actual Middle Ages (yes I am aware of the irony of this statement after I just made a pouch with a TON of decorative visible stitching... but still :lol: ).
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

It's the stitched-on top flap that gets my attention. :)

I think I started doing things that way after looking at too many 14th c. girdle purses and 18th c. shot pouches.

I don't know how "in period" it is for Eriador to stitch on the top flap rather that just make the back and flap one piece... but given the Loch Glashan bag also has a seam across the top, I imagine neither mode of construction would seem terribly odd for anyone from the neolithic to the modern day. :mrgreen:
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Not to derail Shadrack’s thread about his lovely pouch but after being inspired by all the belt pouch love lately, I’ve finally taken up the project myself. I’m sketching out a pattern for my own and I decided to do some research on the early medieval period pouches for inspiration. What I’ve come to find is that the style of pouch like above and even the two strap hanging pouch so favored by reenactors is apparently itself a reenactorism. Early period period up to the Norman Conquest used mostly simple drawstring bags from what I’ve seen (and much smaller than most people make them.) Preferred over that seemed to be a simple linen satchel-like purse; sometimes made of leather like the Loch Glashan bag. I’m discounting the Birka finds as those are far too east to be used in most Viking or Saxon reenactment. There is the Sutton Hoo purse lid but given just the richness of the burial, not suitable for the common persona. I’m thinking about using it as a inspiration for general shape though in a more middle class fashion.

All that said, one of the few direct gear mentions for Strider is a belt pouch that held the athelas. Given that we aren’t recreating the early Saxon period, I’d say that a belt pouch like above is perfect. I’m not a fan of the drawstring bag as for our purposes, it bounces far too much on the move. One of these days I might make a satchel for the larger stuff or perhaps for foraging. Maybe the lasdhir would be better for the wild foraging?

If anyone else has other sources I’d love to see them. And of course, given that leather preserves poorly, pouches just may not have survived in the archaeological record.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Oh, of course this is only my own research and if you prefer a later high medieval look, there is plenty of examples out there for you. :mrgreen: