Thoughts on folding spoons?

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

caedmon
Balku'npâ

Thoughts on folding spoons?

Post by caedmon »

Just got introduced to the concept of the folding wooden spoon. what do you thing of it's relative usefulness?
folding-5.jpg
folding-5.jpg (138.95 KiB) Viewed 7095 times
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: Thoughts on folding spoons?

Post by Manveruon »

I feel like this is something a Dwarf of Man of Dale might take delight in, practical or not!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Well that's quite clever!

At least in the modern world I've come to think of novelty hiking spoons as a rather gimmicky... a plain old table spoon (pick your material) is cheap, light, and no bother to store.

In period I think my answer's the same - but as something to while away the time in from of the hearth with a whittling knife, I can absolutely see the attraction.

Some things are more about the making and enjoying than the practicality. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Elleth on Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Charlotte
Dúnadan

Post by Charlotte »

I think one way the bulk-saving properties of the folding spoon were achieved — but without the additional mechanical complexity — was with spoons with very short, flat handles, that are held between the thumb and side of the forefinger. These are common among the nomads of the Eurasian Boreal and Tundra, such as the Sámi.

An extreme example:

A more common example:

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

those are lovely!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Manveruon wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:41 pm I feel like this is something a Dwarf of Man of Dale might take delight in, practical or not!

you are quite right, it looks neat, I want one :mrgreen:

I got carried away writing so here's a product design study :lol:

As far as modern hiking ones are concerned, I actually like them, sometimes, because when you have a compact cook kit there's nothing more annoying than having a spoon/fork/knife that is just a bit too long to fit inside your pot with everything else, meaning you need a separate bag or box to keep food dirt from getting on everything else

but in terms of gimmicky-ness I have to draw the line somewhere, and that is with the "spork", specifically the kind with a spoon on one end and a fork on the other, if you use the spoon and the fork in the same meal it means having to hold a dirty piece of cutlery, so you end up choosing the spoon or the fork first, rendering the whole thing totally useless. Below (left) is a particularly bad example, I have only ever used it once

the two on the right do the job of spoon, fork and knife well enough, they are made of titanium so they actually weigh less combined than the stainless steel atrocity on the left, that thing is trying to be a spoon, fork, knife, bottle opener, tin opener and screwdriver. The only thing on it that works is the spoon and fork providing you use them separately, the bottle opener is kinda OK, but the tin-opener isn't sharp enough to work because I blunted it with a file so I didn't cut my hand while eating (so on second thoughts, until I modified it, the only thing it safely worked as was a bottle opener LOL)

There are some lessons learned here though, I think that any "multi-function" or ultra-compact/lightweight thing is only good if you don't loose functionality, better if you gain functionality, and in most cases to be avoided if it works less well that the ordinary item or items combined. By this logic the wooden folding spoon actually passes, simply because you gain the functionality of the spoon folding, but it shouldn't be significantly bigger/heavier and will still work just as well as a fixed spoon
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
ForgeCorvus
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I've never understood having an eating fork in the bushkit, most camp meals can be eaten with a spoon or picked up with your fingers or knifepoint.

Having a Cooking fork is a different matter, but you only need one per camp rather then one each.

Hate sporks, the double ended ones for the reasons Iodo mentioned and the spikes-on-the-bowl type because you can't scrape the last bit out of the pot and I'd probably stab my face with the blasted thing.

A Folding wooden spoon is my new want, I like the short handled Sami ones as well which are probably quite good if you have a shallow bowl or deep dish to eat out of. But if you eat straight from the pot*, a longer handle is better...... And being able to store it inside the pot while still having a handle thats longer then the pot is deep is perfect.

* If you're solo why wouldn't you, its less to carry
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:34 pm Hate...
...and the spikes-on-the-bowl type because you can't scrape the last bit out of the pot and I'd probably stab my face with the blasted thing

I hadn't really thought of that as a potential issue, the spikes are blunt enough for it not to be a stab risk, a fork that is meant to be a fork will work better, but for the reasons you mentioned I don't find my self wanting a fork that often but it is nice to have something that works as one when I do happen to want it. and as for leaving a bit in the bottom of the pot, normally I make a soup and end up drinking the last little bit anyway

but given how little those titanium folding camp utensils weigh it would be a theoretical upgrade to the kit to have a separate dedicated fork and spoon, I have never wished for it enough to justify the cost though
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Sorrel wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:48 am I think one way the bulk-saving properties of the folding spoon were achieved — but without the additional mechanical complexity — was with spoons with very short, flat handles, that are held between the thumb and side of the forefinger. These are common among the nomads of the Eurasian Boreal and Tundra, such as the Sámi.

Boy, those are gorgeous! And the designs on them have a very Numenorean vibe, to my eye!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Personally I'm not a huge fan of the folding spoon, it just seems like one more thing that could break compared to my bulletproof little solid ones.

If it was done in brass or silver perhaps.... Gulli no doubt could make something.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Charlotte
Dúnadan

Post by Charlotte »

Last edited by Charlotte on Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlotte
Dúnadan

Post by Charlotte »

Manveruon wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:14 pm
Sorrel wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:48 am I think one way the bulk-saving properties of the folding spoon were achieved — but without the additional mechanical complexity — was with spoons with very short, flat handles, that are held between the thumb and side of the forefinger. These are common among the nomads of the Eurasian Boreal and Tundra, such as the Sámi.

Boy, those are gorgeous! And the designs on them have a very Numenorean vibe, to my eye!
You'll be pleased to know I have a good supply of antler and plan on making one with more explicitly numenorean design for that exact reason!
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

In my reckoning, the more moving parts an item has, the greater the chance it will break down when you need it the most. Although I can't imagine what kind of rough treatment one would have to give a folding spoon (that should be wrapped up and tucked away safe and sound while on the trail) to break it so severely that you couldn't use it.

I like the idea of the short handle, wide bowl spoons but I've got big hands and that just seems like a tedious time.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Tom_Ranger
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Tom_Ranger »

Cimrandir wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:01 am In my reckoning, the more moving parts an item has, the greater the chance it will break down when you need it the most. Although I can't imagine what kind of rough treatment one would have to give a folding spoon (that should be wrapped up and tucked away safe and sound while on the trail) to break it so severely that you couldn't use it.

I like the idea of the short handle, wide bowl spoons but I've got big hands and that just seems like a tedious time.
Yep, me too. I finally settled on something short and solid (although more modern). I'm constantly looking for an old school version.
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.