Morgul Blade.

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

SierraStrider
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Morgul Blade.

Post by SierraStrider »

Iodo wrote:
Eric C wrote:Hold still! Ima stab you with this healing blade! It'll make you feel better!
thanks for the offer but, I think I'll take my chances... :P LOL
If only this were such a ridiculous notion! With the astonishing popularity of bloodletting in Europe, and the equivalent Chinese practice that has since been rebranded as acupuncture, "Ima stab you with this healing blade" was likely pretty close to what a lot of ancient folks heard right before they were gleefully exsanguinated.
Eric C wrote: That could present some serious heat treat issues. Such a notch would likely create a stress riser and crack in heat treat. There is a way to try to avoid it by rounding the notch so there are no sharp angles.
Seems like stress risers are the whole goal, there--maybe you could go with the rounded notches, then file them square after heat treating?
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

SierraStrider wrote:Seems like stress risers are the whole goal, there--maybe you could go with the rounded notches, then file them square after heat treating?
I second this, it's a great idea :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Late to the party again.

I pictured them as more of a Misericorde, the "Mercy knife" used by knights of the 12th to 15th centuries.
Their function was to kill fallen men as quickly and (hopefully) painlessly as possible.

I suppose that fits in with 'Made for a noble purpose and corrupted when the Nine fell' idea
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Udwin wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:38 am
"And more deadly to Frodo was this!' He stooped again and lifted up a long thin knife. There was a cold gleam in it. As Strider raised it they saw that near the end its edge was notched and the point was broken off. " LR I:12, Flight to the Ford
Now this may seem pedantic but knives have a typology all of their own. A knife is by definition a single edged blade and the quote above says 'it's edge was notched' not 'one of it's edges'

The Professor uses the term dagger to describe both sting and the barrow blades and clearly knew the difference so is it possible that the Morgul blade is in fact a long thin fighting knife or seax? Add to this that the bolsters in the prancing pony are slashed and not stabbed and it's at least a possibility?

Though there is one small counter argument to this though as later in the same passage as Udwins quote it says
He sat down on the ground, and taking the dagger-hilt laid it on his knees
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:25 pm Late to the party again.

I pictured them as more of a Misericorde, the "Mercy knife" used by knights of the 12th to 15th centuries.
Their function was to kill fallen men as quickly and (hopefully) painlessly as possible.

I suppose that fits in with 'Made for a noble purpose and corrupted when the Nine fell' idea
This could be a possibility worth looking into.
Eofor wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:48 am
Udwin wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:38 am
"And more deadly to Frodo was this!' He stooped again and lifted up a long thin knife. There was a cold gleam in it. As Strider raised it they saw that near the end its edge was notched and the point was broken off. " LR I:12, Flight to the Ford
Now this may seem pedantic but knives have a typology all of their own. A knife is by definition a single edged blade and the quote above says 'it's edge was notched' not 'one of it's edges'

The Professor uses the term dagger to describe both sting and the barrow blades and clearly knew the difference so is it possible that the Morgul blade is in fact a long thin fighting knife or seax? Add to this that the bolsters in the prancing pony are slashed and not stabbed and it's at least a possibility?

Though there is one small counter argument to this though as later in the same passage as Udwins quote it says
He sat down on the ground, and taking the dagger-hilt laid it on his knees
It looks like once more the Professor has given us room to play with it and see what we like best, how each of us interpret it. We often forget that in medieval Europe, not every blade was double-edged.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Slender but stiff blade, probably parallel or maybe slightly flared near the tip (as a Roman Pilum, once the point is in theres nothing to stop it going in the rest of the way ).
Edge and a half, like a Highland Dirk?
A very small guard, just big enough to stop your hand slipping down onto the blade.
And maybe a flattish pommel (more like a Rondel dagger, but not as big) to press the other palm against as you push it home.

Thats what I'm seeing
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
Elwindil

Post by Elwindil »

Perhaps it was something similar to a sword breaker in design, single edged with a dagger hilt, and spines or notches along the back to break off in a wound, as it were. Then again, if it was something corrupted when the Nine fell, perhaps it was originally some sort of surgical type blade, similar in function to a modern day scalpel but larger and meant to remove arrowheads and other such things embedded in wounds.