Help with weapon/tools for a dwarf ranger

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ruinar Hrafnakveðja
Dúnadan

Re: Help with weapon/tools for a dwarf ranger

Post by Ruinar Hrafnakveðja »

Have either of you done much cutting with your axes? I'm definitely considering a more basic Norse-style axe for my Woodmen persona. I have a Cold Steel Viking Hand Axe right now, but I would prefer something more authentic, also something way better at splitting wood!
I wish only for green trees, cool wine, a strong bow, and a swift arrow
Bumr Blackbrand
Wayfarer

Post by Bumr Blackbrand »

Mine is still coming through customs, but one thing I will say about Adam Thiele is that while I had a general idea in mind, he was constantly making suggestions to make it more of a functional tool than the photos and drawings I showed him. To name a few, the 'eye' of the axe was made longer and more oval shape for more stability and the beard was made a bit more dramatic for easier chopping.

Obviously since I don't yet have the tool, I won't be able to vouch for these changes firsthand, but it's nice to know that he seems to have functionality as a priority.
Nemo of Calh
Dúnadan

Post by Nemo of Calh »

I haven't with the walking axe but I have with a tomahawk I got from him. It held up well (no damage even when using it on some unbelievably hard wood. Wish I knew where the campground got that firewood), but I wouldn't want to do any heavy chopping with the walking axe. It would be too tough on the handle. Bumr's handle looks a bit sturdier but mine's pretty thin. Plenty good for a walking stick and a weapon but I'm not going to try splitting logs with it.
"He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." Micah 6:8