New Blade

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Aravir
Dúnadan

New Blade

Post by Aravir »

Hello all,

I’m new to the forums but a semi-long browser.

I ordered my first full tang sword made of Damascus steel.
Based on reviews I have faith it’ll be a great blade. I couldn’t yet afford the DarkSword Armory Ranger Sword.

Not sure if anyone knows the shop or has bought from their store before

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/320x ... TwJoS9.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/320x ... LSntaZ.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/320x ... L8TcZH.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/320x ... Z1V0uv.jpg
Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: New Blade

Post by Iodo »

That looks very nice :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Looks interesting, let us know how it handles when you receive it and Welcome to the Forum !
Ghostsoldier
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Ghostsoldier »

Welcome, Ranger... your blade looks great!

Rob
"Nothing's forgotten."
Aravir
Dúnadan

Post by Aravir »

It should be arriving in the next few days. I’ll post up more pics when I get it and a review as well.

Thanks for having me, glad to be here!
Aravir
Dúnadan

Post by Aravir »

Finally it has arrived.

The craftsmanship appears good (to my untrained eye) and the sharpness is impressive.. The pommel is ever so slightly bent but this could either be from the lousy shipping handling or maybe a minor defect.

All in all I do like this blade, check out pic number 3 and 4 though. I am worried about this small surface crack. Debating returning it or if someone knows of a good way to fix it. If I have to return :/ then I plan on getting the Ranger Sword from DarkSword Armory.

Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Looking very cool :P

that crack looks like a bit of a problem though, a potential weakness where the Damascus is folded (I wouldn't cut with it as it is), I can't tell how deep it is in the picture, if it's only a surface defect maybe it can be polished off? then there would be no chance of it spreading, Damascus steel is etched to show the pattern of the folds so I have no idea how you would go about maintaining the finish, I'm sure someone else on this forum with more experience could give better advice
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aravir
Dúnadan

Post by Aravir »

Iodo wrote:Looking very cool :P

that crack looks like a bit of a problem though, a potential weakness where the Damascus is folded (I wouldn't cut with it as it is), I can't tell how deep it is in the picture, if it's only a surface defect maybe it can be polished off? then there would be no chance of it spreading, Damascus steel is etched to show the pattern of the folds so I have no idea how you would go about maintaining the finish, I'm sure someone else on this forum with more experience could give better advice
Thanks for the response!

Unfortunately looking at it more it appears to be about half of the blade deep. I agree too about the concern of maintaining the finish of the Damascus steel.

Another reason to get the Ranger Sword I suppose :)
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Bummer :( you will enjoy the darksword ranger sword though. I had one. It's pretty heavy but I liked it.
Frodo lives!
Aravir
Dúnadan

Post by Aravir »

TaylorSteiner wrote:Bummer :( you will enjoy the darksword ranger sword though. I had one. It's pretty heavy but I liked it.
That’s awesome! How was the quality?

This sword is quite light I almost want something heavier. I went back and forth coughing up the $600 for weeks. Seems worth it though that sword is...beautiful.
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

It was actually a really cool sword. The hilt was a little loose when I got it. But they fixed for me with no charge. I used that sword alot and it held up to some bad abuse for a few years and took it all. The handle is really round unfortunately, so you can't feel your edge alignment. I did like that sword though. Plus i gather that Darksword has begun to make better swords recently. So maybe a new one will be really nice?
Frodo lives!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

TaylorSteiner wrote: Plus i gather that Darksword has begun to make better swords recently. So maybe a new one will be really nice?
I heard that they fixed some quality issues at the beginning of the year too
Aravir
Dúnadan

Post by Aravir »

Iodo wrote:
TaylorSteiner wrote: Plus i gather that Darksword has begun to make better swords recently. So maybe a new one will be really nice?
I heard that they fixed some quality issues at the beginning of the year too

It seems it based on some of the recent reviews I’ve come across on their page and elsewhere.
Ideally the maker will let me do a direct exchange. But if not then I’ll post up a review of the Ranger Sword once I return the Ragnarok one. :)

Being the newbie I’m also due to post up some action shots, once a few more pieces of my kit arrive. I got some medieval pants in with these bronze needle tip ends everywhere that I absolutely despise. Swapped them for Hosen trousers.
Aravir
Dúnadan

Post by Aravir »

Well the seller got back to me.

He offered me a full refund and said to keep the sword. But I feel that is not right, so I will be sending it back to him once I’m back from vacation.

I also just purchased....the Ranger Sword from DarkSword Armory!

Can’t wait, I’ll re-update here with some action shots in the next week or so.
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

You're gonna love it.
Frodo lives!