bristol sword help/advice

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

celegon
Wayfarer

bristol sword help/advice

Post by celegon »

ok so, Im hoping theres a few Bristol owners here who may have some advice and thoughts

my Bristol was bought 2nd hand, it has never been used for cutting ( that I know of) when I got it the pommel was offset just enough to notice if you're really looking at it
due to my slight ocd I couldn't leave it alone so I took a rubber mallet and tapped the pommel as careful as I could, actually pretty lightly and I bent the pommel a bit too far but I got it straightened back out. its fine now and straight but im a bit bummed out, I don't think the tang should be able to be bent so easily, it kinda makes me afraid to ever do any cutting with it

it was a peened model and I cant really tell whats going on under the grip, any thoughts? thanks for reading
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: bristol sword help/advice

Post by Peter Remling »

As long as the peen is intact, there should be no issue. The tangs are softer toward the peen to allow the peen to take. Unless it wiggles or it looks like the pommel looks like it's moving, you're good to go. That difference you noticed most likely happened when they were setting the peen. A slight angle strike could cause what you saw.
celegon
Wayfarer

Post by celegon »

hey thanks for the reply! i appreciate it.I figured it was set a bit crooked when being peened. it being able to be bent so easy just freaked me out a bit
RangerofAngmar
Wanderer

Post by RangerofAngmar »

Tangs are usually left softer then the rest of the sword so that they are able to flex a little as that is where most of the stress of the sword is placed and to most common part to fail.

the offset of the pommel might have been been peened that way on purpose.

there are quite a few late 11th and 12th century swords that feature offset pommels and it is believed to help with handling the sword as the pommel is just out of the way of the palm of the hand when using an extended grip
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

My own Bristol (also preened) had the same issues upon arrival. Very very slight - hardly noticeable - but I admit I was a little less than pleased. Ultimately though I opted to leave mine alone and just deal. Kind of thinking of trying to straighten it now though... hmmmm...
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
celegon
Wayfarer

Post by celegon »

if youre slow bout it and do it just a bit at a time you shouldn't have any trouble, just don't do what I did and bend it into the opposite direction :P hows the peening look on yours? it was a bit rough on mine but im working on a way to cover it
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Good to know!
Honestly, the peening on mine is pretty clean. Nothing too fancy, but not super ugly either.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains