New arrows to be made

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eledhwen
Thangailhir

New arrows to be made

Post by Eledhwen »

I'm soon to start making some arrows for my bows, both 11/32 and 3/8 shafts of cedar and birch. These are set to have long bodkins and broadhead bodkins. I shall be making some new strings for the bows too as I have allowed the ones I use to get a bit worn. I'll be using flax cord for this and a Flemish style string. One set loop, the other end I will have to use an archer's knot. Flights will be set in a verdigris compound like those on the Mary Rose and I will bind them with linen thread. I may do some cresting, yet it will be minor and will not color the entire shaft, nor even most of it.

No photos as of yet, although I will be taking some when I get them under way. It has been a while since I did any of these, almost a year, so it will be fun to return to it. I still have an order to complete that came in just after the Covid lockdowns kicked in. Being in my 60s, I take extra care, even now...it isn't gone, after all. Another plague out of Mordor no doubt.

I hope all here are doing well.

Eledhwen Alandilmë
Nandalad!
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Re: New arrows to be made

Post by Cimrandir »

Very exciting! I have long wanted to learn to make my own arrows so I’ll be watching this thread for sure!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: New arrows to be made

Post by Greg »

Nice to see you, Siani! Looking forward to seeing this progress...I'd particularly e enjoy some photos of your bowstrings to compare to work I've done in the past for educational purposes.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.