New Member: Custom Ranger Sword

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Valladon

New Member: Custom Ranger Sword

Post by Valladon »

Hey guys! New member here.
It's not quite done, but I wanted to post my progress so far on my first piece of ranger gear!
I have named her: Durcrist (let me know what you think of the name please)
It started out as a Hanwei Tinker GSOW. I have since cut 6 inches off of the end of the end of the blade, and shortened the handle to an 8" grip. Thus transforming it from an Oakeshott type XIIIa into a type XIII with a longer than normal fuller.
I still need to true up/sharpen the tip, and get some fresh leather for a new wrap (currently just using the stock grip cut down), but please let me know what you think so far as well as any suggestions you have!
"The stars are veiled. Something stirs in the East. A sleepless malice. The eye of the enemy is moving. He is HERE."
Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: New Member: Custom Ranger Sword

Post by Iodo »

Looks awesome so far :P

and welcome to the forum :mrgreen:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Ghostsoldier
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Ghostsoldier »

Yeah, it looks great...and welcome, Ranger! :P

Rob
"Nothing's forgotten."
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Welcome to the forum! It looks like a worthy blade! Durcrist would be "Darkness Cleaver," right? I've no ear for linguistics I'm afraid. Perhaps Elleth would know more of the Sindarin translation.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Valladon

Post by Valladon »

Thanks everybody!
And yes, Darkness Cleaver is correct (assuming my Sindarin translator app is accurate)
"The stars are veiled. Something stirs in the East. A sleepless malice. The eye of the enemy is moving. He is HERE."
DaleKHayes

Post by DaleKHayes »

Hello
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Looks like it'll become a wonderful piece, and you've done some great work already! I myself carry a shortened Hanwei-Tinker bare blade made from a Fullered Bastard, and it turned out wonderfully.

The biggest thing I would focus on for yours would be trying to round off the angles at the point where it's been clipped with careful patience. Others with blade making experience here could recommend methods for doing so, but I'll be watching this with interest! Looking forward to see how you wrap your grip in the future as well.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.