Captured Easterling Blade

This section is for reviews of stuff that is commonly available, or from a vendor that has more to get. New sword from Albion, or Windlass? Great. Leather work or cloak from a vendor or another board member who has hung out her shingle? Excellent. Discussion of the finer points of the arrows you just made. Not so much. Put that it in the Weapons & Armor Section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Togon
Dúnadan

Captured Easterling Blade

Post by Togon »

To tell you the truth, I've been kind of undecided about a sword for a few reasons. I've got a type xiv and like it, but for some reason, I've always preferred a shortish, single-edged cut and thrust sword. I can't explain it. For a more dark aged kit, I got a windlass runic seax, with there not being too many options for my preferred blade type, and I love it, but I think it looks a little too Rohan or Dwarvish. I've noticed many select 14th-15th century blades coinciding with the Peter Jackson films, which I believed opened my opportunities for blade choices. I do have a messer on the way and I was planning on this to be my blade, but while organizing my closet, I found this little gem.

I didn't take a picture of her before I modded her, but she's a Kingston Arms Cutlass, an Angus Trim design. I've been studying military saber and this was my solo practice and cutting blade of choice. Apparently, Angus Trim had a falchion blade to which he added a swept hilt and a wheel pommel. He sold the design to Kingston Arms and now here it is. I loved it. Stout, sharp, an elegant yet brutish design. When I started this hobby, I didn't think I could take her with me, then I remembered she has a pommel nut! I also noticed the double clip kind of looks like the blades on the glaives of the Easterlings in the Jackson films...

I found a suitable cross guard. I figured a simple cross with flaring tips would work well. With this change, I figured it would pass for a simple Gondorian hilt; nothing issued, but it could exist. I wish I had the space and equipment to attempt my own, but I made due. It fit the tang, but the hole for the blade was a little narrow in places. So, using very tiny files, I ground it out and now it fits snugly. The reassembled hilt is solid. She's a little more blade heavy now, not by much. I like it. I think it makes her balance better as a falchion than a cutlass. The ricasso makes an excellent parrying surface. The blade, once honed, is a wicked slicer. The tip is acute. The pommel is a smooth disk. The edges could be a little smoother, but a little file work will dehorn them. I've got a nice little callous at the heel of my right palm from it. Not complaining. The grip is adequately sized. I could easily assume a good saber grip with it. I can wrap a second had around the pommel, if I have to, but she's definately a single hander. Its a dark brown leather over cord. There is not stitching, it is glued on and hasn't loosened up in the three years I've had her. The sheath is leather with like a floral design along its length. It has a weird dangler belt loop for suspension, but I'm not a fan. I wrapped a long belt around her as a sword belt learned from Tod Cutler's channel. The sheath reminds me of either a machete sheath or a belt my grandpa had. I'll keep it.

Overall length: 32 inches
Blade length: 26 inches
Steel:9260
Mine balances at about 5 inches from the guard

Now for character backstory. Thank you, Eofor!
It was one of my earlier missions. I was careless, no complacent. It was my first time out as a ranger. I was still fresh faced. We went out east to scout the borders of Rhun, but all was quiet. There hadn't been much Easterling activity in a while. Me... I couldn't help but take it all in. Here I was, Togon, from Belfalas had never been so much inland before. Everything was new. The land was strange. But somewhere along the way, my sword disappeared. I knew I was dead. Out here in the wild... I reported to the captain. This was gonna be the end of my career as a ranger. Hello a life of chipping rocks for the trebuchets of Minas Tirith. Earlier, we had found an old cache of mixed weapons. Orcish and Easterling. There were a few broken Gondorian swords... poor buggers. *deeply swigs an ale* Captain stood me out in front of the patrol. I felt like I was going to vomit. He grabs this sword in a beat-up leather sheath and slaps it to my chest. "If by your carelessness you wish to do our enemies work, then you may as well carry one of his brands," that's what he said to me in a low growl. The others gave me words that weren't so nice. Some words, maybe even Orcish in origin. I knew that would never happen again. I kept this beat up old blade and used it. She's actually really nice; she sings to me. She corrects me when I'm wrong, but she's always there for me. I liked her warmth, be it in my hand or on my hip. Even when Captain returned with an issue sword, I refused. I love this blade. I had the smiths rehilt her in appropriate fashion. This sword, even though she hasn't found a name yet, I will never loose her.

Haven't had a lot of time to mess with pictures, so I've only got these for now. More will come. I love her. You could see the gap in the guard, but she is tight. I've butchered some cardboard boxes with her and she hasn't loosened any. I still always carry an allen key with me just in case. Yeah, I've got bad RBF, and I've got a thing for headbands... it gives me a +1 in defense.
Attachments
20220701_142502 (5).jpg
20220701_142502 (5).jpg (63.55 KiB) Viewed 5819 times
20220701_143057 (3).jpg
20220701_143057 (3).jpg (38.98 KiB) Viewed 5819 times
‘If by your carelessness you wish to do our enemies work then you may as well carry one of his brands’
Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: Captured Easterling Blade

Post by Iodo »

That is one awesome looking blade :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
ForgeCorvus
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by ForgeCorvus »

With a POB of +5" she must cut like a witch..... Now save some plastic bottles and give her a good workout
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I have an old Windlass Falchion that is one of my favorites. For Rangering either it or my Atrim 1557 would be my swords of choice. I have several hand and a halfs, a sabre, cutlass and a few single handers. For a wooded area, I want something relatively short so either, works well.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Togon wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:57 am Now for character backstory. Thank you, Eofor!
You are most welcome, I look forward to seeing how you flesh out the rest of Togon's persona. As to your sword it looks quite fine to me.

I've always been a fan of a cleaver, while there is absolutely a finesse and skill involved sometimes it's about strength and weight.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Eofor wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:18 am
Togon wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:57 am Now for character backstory. Thank you, Eofor!
You are most welcome, I look forward to seeing how you flesh out the rest of Togon's persona. As to your sword it looks quite fine to me.

I've always been a fan of a cleaver, while there is absolutely a finesse and skill involved sometimes it's about strength and weight.
Sometimes clever techniques and finesse have to take a back seat to just staying alive.
In a tight space with bad footing and multiple opponents you need to make each cut count, so give me short, heavy and sharp
everytime.
Falchion, Cutlass, Messer, Langseax..... Any of these

Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Very nice! I forget the source (and so one must take this with a grain of salt) but if I remember correctly, falchions and the like were the preferred side-arm of longbow archers in the later period for when things got a little too up-close and personal for their liking. I think it's a fine blade for a Ranger.

Interestingly (at least to me who doesn't know that much about swords), it seems the stereotype that I had of the falchion as being a brutish weapon to be wielded with no finesse is incorrect. Thanks Bernard Cornwell. From the wikipedia article I read just a few seconds ago (so don't kill me if it's off-base :lol: )

Falchions are sometimes misunderstood and thought of as being similar to machetes; however, the ancient falchions that have been discovered are incredibly thin and on average, lighter than a double-edged blade. These weapons were therefore not cleaving or chopping weapons similar to the machete, but quick slashing weapons more similar to shamshir or sabres despite their wide blade.

Learn something new everyday.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

also not an expert but...
Falchions are sometimes misunderstood and thought of as being similar to machetes; however, the ancient falchions that have been discovered are incredibly thin and on average, lighter than a double-edged blade. These weapons were therefore not cleaving or chopping weapons similar to the machete, but quick slashing weapons more similar to shamshir or sabres despite their wide blade.
strangely though, the good machetes are the thinner ones because to cut through thin to medium brush (like you would in a jungle) you need a blade that won't get stuck on a thin branch and push it out of the way, and will instead sail through it with little resistance, even Shad realized that in the video where he tried to use a sword to clear brush and it didn't work. The viking seax knife was thick bladed in order to be able to process fire wood, this and clearing a path through undergrowth are entirely different tasks

ultimately a thinner blade will always cut better, but it's also weaker/less able to block heavier weapons/more likely to get damaged, so yes, Falchions are light fast nimble weapons
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Togon
Dúnadan

Post by Togon »

Alright! Thank you, everyone for your compliments on the blade. I'm glad I was able to find a way to bring one of my favorite swords with me for rangering. I remeasured the POB and its closer to 4 1/2 inches than 5 as previously stated. Still a wicked cutter. No orcs are safe! I could easily see why a sword like this would be a soldier's backup. It's not terribly heavy and its quick to maneuver despite the forward balance. I am a pretty strong guy, and I could easily do snap cuts all day. I did take a few classes on Chinese Dao, and I could see how close quarter a sword like this could get. It also means I could use this weapon indoors easily. Lord knows this'll be useful for fighting in Osgiliath.

[/quote]
Sometimes clever techniques and finesse have to take a back seat to just staying alive.
In a tight space with bad footing and multiple opponents you need to make each cut count, so give me short, heavy and sharp
everytime.
Falchion, Cutlass, Messer, Langseax..... Any of these
[/quote]

I see you are also a man of culture as well,
‘If by your carelessness you wish to do our enemies work then you may as well carry one of his brands’
Tom_Ranger

Post by Tom_Ranger »

Iodo wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:43 pm ultimately a thinner blade will always cut better, but it's also weaker/less able to block heavier weapons/more likely to get damaged, so yes, Falchions are light fast nimble weapons
I tried a similar experiment recently with a "Reaver Cleaver" (VERY Heavy) and it's fine for clearing out thicker things, but for thin stuff I found I had to swing a lot and the weight along is counter productive.
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Togon
Dúnadan

Post by Togon »

Matt Easton actually did a review on my blade with the original guard. He referred to it as a dussack, its marketed as a cutlass, but she's a Falchion at heart. She helped me butcher some Costco boxes yesterday. They all bore the Eye of Sauron. Fun times!
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Togon wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:09 am Matt Easton actually did a review on my blade with the original guard. He referred to it as a dussack, its marketed as a cutlass, but she's a Falchion at heart. She helped me butcher some Costco boxes yesterday. They all bore the Eye of Sauron. Fun times!
Most excellent slaying of those foul foes! You should take some videos the next so we can see how it handles. ; )
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Togon
Dúnadan

Post by Togon »

You tempt me! Let me drink a few more sodas and we'll see what I could put out!
Jack

Post by Jack »

Tom_Ranger wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:25 am
Iodo wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:43 pm ultimately a thinner blade will always cut better, but it's also weaker/less able to block heavier weapons/more likely to get damaged, so yes, Falchions are light fast nimble weapons
I tried a similar experiment recently with a "Reaver Cleaver" (VERY Heavy) and it's fine for clearing out thicker things, but for thin stuff I found I had to swing a lot and the weight along is counter productive.
"Reaver" cleaver? "Shiny"? Are those Firefly references? Miss that show...
Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!