What's everyone working on?

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

redhandfilms
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: What's everyone working on?

Post by redhandfilms »

I'm working on a camp stool/ walking stick based on this video from Skill Tree.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdNuBuJ7scM[/youtube]
That video is based on this Instructable.
https://www.instructables.com/Multi-Fun ... nto-a-Cha/
Mine so far.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Nice work :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Cimrandir wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:12 pm
- Tunic is a big one. I've been doing research hoping to find a tunic design that would work for both living history (6th. Britain) and Middle-earth but no dice. So right now, I'm drafting up a pattern. Straight body with no gores like some of those early Migration period tunics but with a slit in the side for ease of movement, diamond shaped under-armed gussets because I get freaked out when I can't fully move my arms sometimes, and fairly tight sleeves (again like the early Migration period stuff.) I've waffling back and forth on the neckline. Either a very late period Guddal-style standing collar or a Coptic-style slit. Because I am both crazy and Extra TM, I've decided that it's not enough to simply handsew a tunic. No, I must hand-dye it with proper plant-dyes as well. I'm looking for a dark reddish-brown so the plan is to find some natural brown wool, dye it a dark brown by boiling madder, and then over-dye it with regular madder to add some red tones.

So if anybody has a source for a medium-weight (200ish grams/m2) undyed natural brown wool in a herringbone weave, lemme know for sure. I reached out to Classic Fabrics because they've usually got lightweight stuff but they only have their natural brown in plainweave and won't be making more anytime soon.

Finally just bit the bullet and ordered the natural white wool from Classic Fabrics. Herringbone weave at 209g/m2. It's a really good time to buy things in Europe (0.97 euro to the dollar at the time of this writing.) With a width of 160 cm, I went with 4 meters. Hopeful to get at least a tunic and hood out of it and maybe a pair of short trousers if I'm careful. Now to figure out how to plant-dye things...
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Thalion of Bree
Dúnadan

Post by Thalion of Bree »

I'm wanting to work on a tablet-woven band to use as edging for a neck hole on a tunic. Anyone got any tips for me getting started? This would be the first time I've ever done this, but I've watched enough videos that I think I have some idea of what to do.
-Thalion, Thontaur's son
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Thalion of Bree wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:58 pm I'm wanting to work on a tablet-woven band to use as edging for a neck hole on a tunic. Anyone got any tips for me getting started?
Have you tried any sort of weaving before? If not then I would strongly suggest that you start with inkle weaving.

An Inkle loom can be made at home from mostly timber scrap and the weaving is far more forgiving (though a simpler product as a result) There are even online pattern generators for you to play around with and sound out your project first.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Thalion of Bree
Dúnadan

Post by Thalion of Bree »

That may be what I do. Thanks, Eofor!
-Thalion, Thontaur's son
Barandir

Post by Barandir »

I am currently taking a long leather duster I have and taking off the sleeves, collar, and lining so I can make either a leather surcoat or maybe a long sleeveless leather coat. Can't decide yet!
Barandir, a Third Age Dunedain, also known as Brand or the Goshawk.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory; I only love that which they defend.
imaginatus
Wayfarer

Post by imaginatus »

I've been away from my alter-self for a few years (stupid real world).
But over the past few weeks, I've re-kindled and found that I had saved a few coppers during the plague time that allowed me to get some new goodies to round out my kit.
So I've been gathering and organizing all the various bits and bobs I already have in one spot. Then going through it and working out what new things I need.
For actual projects, I'm currently re-working a bota bag flask. I disassembled the leather shell and I'm now re-stitching it with real leather trim and edges to replace the plastic bits. I'll keep the modern liner, but I'm going to turn either wood or horn for the spout.
Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

imaginatus wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:47 pm I've been away from my alter-self for a few years (stupid real world).
But over the past few weeks, I've re-kindled and found that I had saved a few coppers during the plague time that allowed me to get some new goodies to round out my kit.
So I've been gathering and organizing all the various bits and bobs I already have in one spot. Then going through it and working out what new things I need.
For actual projects, I'm currently re-working a bota bag flask. I disassembled the leather shell and I'm now re-stitching it with real leather trim and edges to replace the plastic bits. I'll keep the modern liner, but I'm going to turn either wood or horn for the spout.
Welcome back! Always happy to see folks return!
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Got something fun cooking up in the knife sphere. I'm excited to share more when it's a little further along.
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

theowl is making me an Aragorn glove. Hopefully in a week. I cant wait!
Frodo lives!
redhandfilms

Post by redhandfilms »

Cimrandir wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:18 pm Got something fun cooking up in the knife sphere.
What I think of when I see "Knife Sphere"...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p4ZsYYU5Cc *** WARNING. Cheesey, 70's movie blood and gore! *** Phantasm (1979). Silver Death Sphere.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Cimrandir wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:18 pm Got something fun cooking up in the knife sphere. I'm excited to share more when it's a little further along.
Knowing your plans I can't wait to see what he comes up with either.
Taylor Steiner wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:06 am theowl is making me an Aragorn glove. Hopefully in a week. I cant wait!
Big upgrades to your soft kit this year!
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Eofor wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:02 pm
Cimrandir wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:18 pm Got something fun cooking up in the knife sphere. I'm excited to share more when it's a little further along.
Taylor Steiner wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:06 am theowl is making me an Aragorn glove. Hopefully in a week. I cant wait!
Big upgrades to your soft kit this year!
I know, I'm helpless lol
Frodo lives!
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Eofor wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:02 pm
A tease...
KTDKTease.jpg
KTDKTease.jpg (28.4 KiB) Viewed 10061 times