Yuletide Gift Exchange - anyone interested?

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: Yuletide Gift Exchange - anyone interested?

Post by Manveruon »

Whew! Thank you, kind sir! Haha, I've been really stressed over it. As it happens, however, I actually JUST FINISHED! So it's now 100% done, I just have to pop it in the mail. Unfortunately, that means it will not go out until Monday, but if I can grab your email address, I will send you the digital file, and you can still have something cool to open with the rest of us tomorrow (more or less).
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Haha! I've shopped all day with the family, so I'm not totally functioning right now. Forgot to PM you the email addy.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

No worries! Thanks for the PM! I will shoot you the file post-haste!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Eric, sorry for causing any stress on your part! Not to worry. I did a 48hour whirlwind to Chicago on Thursday, got back yesterday, and was finally able to check my various messages just now. Package apparently arrived safe & sound while I was gone! after the long night I'll be cracking it open tomorrow morning to celebrate Yearsday. Now the waiting begins : )
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

While Yearsday/Yule might be the most proper time, I'm afraid family obligations mean I won't have time for savoring our shindig here after today. So with that in mind...
yule-present-wrapped.jpg
yule-present-wrapped.jpg (76.76 KiB) Viewed 10907 times
Yes! $1.99 savings on pork steak! This is exactly what I wanted!

..wait...

it's got kind of a nice heft to it..

WOW!!!
ursus-seax-03.jpg
ursus-seax-03.jpg (72.79 KiB) Viewed 10907 times
THANK YOU URSUS!

This is INCREDIBLE! It's the perfect thing for my ensemble to: I've been using a chintzy little byknife from a historical replicas shop, and it just never really worked well.

THIS work of your hands though is art, and just screams "please take me out into the woods where I can do useful things!!"
ursus-seax-02.jpg
ursus-seax-02.jpg (236.88 KiB) Viewed 10907 times
Thank you thank you thank you!
I promise it will see many adventures like it deserves :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

GOOD LORD THAT'S GORGEOUS! Suuuuuper jealous over here! Nice work, Ursus!

I have sent off the email to Eric C. with his digital copy, and I will be putting his physical copy in the mail first thing tomorrow. Still, my email contains all of the pertinent information about the piece, so I hope he will find it to his liking, and perhaps share it here when he logs on :)

As for me, Elleth, I will be opening your gift shortly, and posting about it soon after! How exciting!
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Gorgeous handiwork, there, Ursus. You've been holding out on us.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

OKAY! Sorry in advance for the picspam, guys! I just opened my package from Elleth, and I am COMPLETELY BLOWN AWAY! Seriously, Elleth, You have really outdone yourself, and I could not be more grateful and humbled! The gifts I received were beautifully hand-crafted, with a great deal of care and forethought, and what's more, they are extremely practical items that I will ABSOLUTELY be using in the very near future! Each one of them serves a specific purpose, and will compliment my kit perfectly.

First, I would like to share the letter Elleth included in the package:

And now! The loot!

Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Sorry for the double-post, but I wanted to mention, while I'm thinking about it, that I'm just in awe of all the fine detail and finishing work that went into these, and the beautiful braiding for the cordage. Just... wowzers, just lovely all around. Elleth: I'd actually love to learn what braid you used for the ties on these, because I would definitely like to use it for future projects.
Last edited by Manveruon on Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Udwin wrote:Eric, sorry for causing any stress on your part! Not to worry. I did a 48hour whirlwind to Chicago on Thursday, got back yesterday, and was finally able to check my various messages just now. Package apparently arrived safe & sound while I was gone! after the long night I'll be cracking it open tomorrow morning to celebrate Yearsday. Now the waiting begins : )
Okay, just glad to know it is safe and sound in your hands. I hope you will enjoy it.
Elleth wrote:While Yearsday/Yule might be the most proper time, I'm afraid family obligations mean I won't have time for savoring our shindig here after today. So with that in mind...
yule-present-wrapped.jpg
Yes! $1.99 savings on pork steak! This is exactly what I wanted!

..wait...

it's got kind of a nice heft to it..

WOW!!!
ursus-seax-03.jpg
THANK YOU URSUS!

This is INCREDIBLE! It's the perfect thing for my ensemble to: I've been using a chintzy little byknife from a historical replicas shop, and it just never really worked well.

THIS work of your hands though is art, and just screams "please take me out into the woods where I can do useful things!!"
ursus-seax-02.jpg
Thank you thank you thank you!
I promise it will see many adventures like it deserves :)
Don't you hate it when people stick things like knives in your coupons?! The nerve! :lol: Very nice work! I love the look of that knife.
Manveruon wrote:OKAY! Sorry in advance for the picspam, guys! I just opened my package from Elleth, and I am COMPLETELY BLOWN AWAY! Seriously, Elleth, You have really outdone yourself, and I could not be more grateful and humbled! The gifts I received were beautifully hand-crafted, with a great deal of care and forethought, and what's more, they are extremely practical items that I will ABSOLUTELY be using in the very near future! Each one of them serves a specific purpose, and will compliment my kit perfectly.

First, I would like to share the letter Elleth included in the package:

And now! The loot!
Very nice gifts indeed! Very useful to a ranger in the field.

And now I shall check my email.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I hope you like it! I wish my gift was as practical as the others I've seen so far. I wanted to do something unique, and I thought I would give this a shot, but now I kind of wish I had gone with a more field-appropriate gift. Gah...
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Wonderful work Ursus! I absolutely love that blade! a truly fine gift! and Elleth all I can say is wow Manveroun wished on a Yuletide Dunadain star and was blessed manyfold. Such lovely work! I see this enterprise of gift giving may also stimulate the Merf economy as we see some wares we all would like to own, showcased in these gifts! :mrgreen:

I need to snap some pictures myself, and post the outstanding gifts from my Brother Wulfgar, who was oddly and might I say unneccesarily suspect of his skills! If he were not before I should name him "Dwarf Friend" with many thanks and much admiration! (Post to come)
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Manveruon wrote:I hope you like it! I wish my gift was as practical as the others I've seen so far. I wanted to do something unique, and I thought I would give this a shot, but now I kind of wish I had gone with a more field-appropriate gift. Gah...

Hehe, just read the email I sent you. I will be proudly posting pics of your gift. It is a true gift indeed, friend! I do actually have a scarf made by Mirimiran's wonderful wife (forgot her forum name, sorry) that would serve as a mask in colder weather. I've flirted with the idea of adding a mask to my kit. I will have to pursue that avenue now. For those who don't understand, just wait till I get my physical copy of the gift. I'll certainly post pics.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Elleth, well done! Very nicely put together. I'm really going to have to pour on the steam next year to keep up with all of this.

To that effect, I was fortunate to open my package from Ringulf (who outdid himself, as usual) before taking my daily training routine with the bird. So, of course, it was raining, and the bird wouldn't cooperate (they simply refuse to hunt in rain)...but the fog was just right, and my little grassy field and gravel road turned into a muddy track, a fog-swirled hillside, and generally Northern-Arnor countryside, so...

Keep your eyes open for the new arrival...

Oh...there it is!

Scott, it's lovely. I just retired my old hawking bag, and have been using cargo pockets the last few weeks. Cargo pockets which now smell like rotting squirrel...much obliged.

I've never really taken to naming my character, but to follow Canon, Bilbo acquired many names on his travels through deeds accomplished, such as "Barrel-Rider", and Scott gave me one hidden in the runes surrounding the throat of this new hawking bag, so maybe I'll pick it up in some form or another. The message itself I take as personal (though for your curiosity's sake, think of it as a middle-earth form of 'May the wind be ever at your back...etc'), but the name contained therein is "Wingranger"...perhaps Windrider or a similar title may come into play and turned into a surname sometime down the road. Thanks!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

No fair! You got an amazing gift AND amazing ranging pictures! :mrgreen:

Fan-bloody-tastic, all around. Why have we never done this before? This is a BLAST!