Inns of Middle Earth

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Tom_Ranger
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Inns of Middle Earth

Post by Tom_Ranger »

The Innns and Taverns in this thread all look nice, yet there is something out of place. A journey back to the days of old is what I seek. Something similar to the one below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyg5jJrZ42s
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

that is an awesome artwork :P there are quite a few fantasy inspired inns around the world that try to look like that, but most are built inside modern buildings so they don't have the aesthetic that the old stonework gives, I came across a Harry Potter themed place on a holiday when I was a child, somewhere near London, it hit the "ye olde pub" look just right, but I can't remember where it was and I don't know if it's still in business? maybe I'll do some research later
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Tom_Ranger

Post by Tom_Ranger »

Iodo wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:16 am that is an awesome artwork :P there are quite a few fantasy inspired inns around the world that try to look like that, but most are built inside modern buildings so they don't have the aesthetic that the old stonework gives, I came across a Harry Potter themed place on a holiday when I was a child, somewhere near London, it hit the "ye olde pub" look just right, but I can't remember where it was and I don't know if it's still in business? maybe I'll do some research later
Okay, I guess I'm just going to have to build one. A private one (invitation only). I have rural land that could never be found, so I'll build a round table, and a hall about the table, and a castle about the hall. Wait, no that was the wrong movie, but you get the idea.
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Goodness I envy your common houses, those of you in the old country. :mrgreen:

For us in the US, I don't know what side of the country you're on, but if you're west coast you might try Camlann -

https://camlann.org/bors_hede.htm

(I've eaten there, and it's grand! I wasn't fond of the cider though. :) )

On the eastern side, there's a number of colonial-ish establishments if that's close enough. Those I've seen tend to be general audience, though I've heard of the occasional invite-only event in historic kitchens.

I've also a vague memory someone put together a pretty impressive village/larp/event up in central/northern New Hampshire or just over the border in Canada, but I can't find the reference at the moment. Anyone happen to remember more?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

The Trip to Jerusalem, the back part is built into the mount of Nottingham castle. (Not my photos)
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Tom_Ranger wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:13 am Okay, I guess I'm just going to have to build one. A private one (invitation only). I have rural land that could never be found, so I'll build a round table, and a hall about the table, and a castle about the hall. Wait, no that was the wrong movie, but you get the idea.
That sounds like a plan :lol:
ForgeCorvus wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:44 pm The Trip to Jerusalem, the back part is built into the mount of Nottingham castle. (Not my photos)
now that looks to be a grand establishment, I can't believe I hadn't heard of it, it looks like it's worth a trip someday :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Oh wow, Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem looks amazing! I've never heard of that pub before but it's definitely on the travel bucket list now.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

There is an inn in Glasgow called Waxy O'connors. It's an Irish pub but it's like nowhere I've ever been before, it goes over three levels of stained glass and gothic timber, hidden nooks, alcoves and stairways.

There are two downsides - Firstly trying to find your friends in the place is nigh on impossible and Secondly you can't really get a great photograph of how amazing the place is. Here are a few which kind of capture the vibe if not the scope.

But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Tom_Ranger

Post by Tom_Ranger »

Eofor wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 1:01 pm There is an inn in Glasgow called Waxy O'connors. It's an Irish pub but it's like nowhere I've ever been before, it goes over three levels of stained glass and gothic timber, hidden nooks, alcoves and stairways.
That's the kind of place I like to see. It all looks oldish.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

that is awesome, it doesn't quite say middle earth to me, but still very cool :P
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Yeah, it seems a little D&Dy to me but that's not a point against it really. It's still super cool and I'd pay quite a bit to hang out and drink a few pints there. I just imagine taverns in Middle-earth to be a little less ornate. Something a little more down to earth, y'know?
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Oh that is gorgeous. What a place to have a party! :mrgreen:
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Hanasian
Wanderer

Post by Hanasian »

Elleth wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:50 pm For us in the US, I don't know what side of the country you're on, but if you're west coast you might try Camlann -

I loved going to Camlann Village when I lived in Washington! Went to a banquet there with my wife about ten years ago when we were in Seattle visiting family and it was quite nice despite the couple seated next to us being a bit rude and boorish. Highly recommend Camlann!

Hoping to make it to Medieval Brewing Company's Ravens Keep this year.

Hanasían
Annalist, Physician, & Historian
of The Black Company of the Dúnedain,
The Free Company of Arnor
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Quick revival of an old-ish thread because I missed it before, but HOLY COW that place is INCREDIBLE, Eofor!
Eofor wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 1:01 pm There is an inn in Glasgow called Waxy O'connors. It's an Irish pub but it's like nowhere I've ever been before, it goes over three levels of stained glass and gothic timber, hidden nooks, alcoves and stairways.

There are two downsides - Firstly trying to find your friends in the place is nigh on impossible and Secondly you can't really get a great photograph of how amazing the place is. Here are a few which kind of capture the vibe if not the scope.

And Elleth, let me tell you, if ever we could get a BIG group of Rangers from around the US to finally get together for a proper moot, I would KILL to do it at Camlann. I’ve heard such amazing things about that place and I’ve always wanted to visit.
Elleth wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:50 pm Goodness I envy your common houses, those of you in the old country. :mrgreen:

For us in the US, I don't know what side of the country you're on, but if you're west coast you might try Camlann -

On the eastern side, there's a number of colonial-ish establishments if that's close enough. Those I've seen tend to be general audience, though I've heard of the occasional invite-only event in historic kitchens.

I've also a vague memory someone put together a pretty impressive village/larp/event up in central/northern New Hampshire or just over the border in Canada, but I can't find the reference at the moment. Anyone happen to remember more?
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Manveruon wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:28 pm Quick revival of an old-ish thread because I missed it before,

It's funny that you did because I recently learned of the term Cottage orné, translated as decorated cottage, which dates back to a movement of ‘rustic’ stylised cottages of the late 18th and early 19th century and had been meaning to post it here.

To be considered an authentic cottage orné, the cottage must conform to a certain set of stylistic guidelines which made it compatible with a picturesque landscape. Typically, a cottage orné was a relatively small building, often with an obviously asymmetrical plan and above all, it must be in a deliberately rustic style, which usually included a thatched roof. Those thatched cottages that had an undulating roof line were considered the most ideal exemplars of the form. There were some cottages orné without thatched roofs, but they were far less common.

One example which really caught my eye was the Swiss Cottage at Cahir

Side view

And this gorgeous little teahouse

But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.