Inns of Middle Earth

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ohtarvarno
Wayfarer

Inns of Middle Earth

Post by Ohtarvarno »

Pubs, inns, taverns, appear a number of times in the tales Middle Earth. Do any Rangers have favourite drinking holes that could belong there? This could be because of the location, interior decor or the appearance of the building.

To start things off here is one of my favourites, Dungeon Ghyll Hotel, Langdale valley, England. (Look carefully and you can see the pub in the valley)
Attachments
FB_IMG_1578829320536.jpg
FB_IMG_1578829320536.jpg (26.7 KiB) Viewed 21112 times
FB_IMG_1578828961605.jpg
FB_IMG_1578828961605.jpg (21.09 KiB) Viewed 21112 times
Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: Inns of Middle Earth

Post by Iodo »

I just looked up some photo's, that place looks amazing :P

I'll have to give this question some thought...
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

OH WOOOOW WOW WOW WOW.
Boy, I wish we had something like that out here in Colorado. We do have some enjoyably atmospheric pubs in the Denver area, but they’re all pretty deep in the city and nowhere near my usual hiking locales, unfortunately. The best one I’ve frequented is called Clancy’s Irish Pub, and it’s about a half an hour’s drive from my home. It’s built in a big old house, and it genuinely feels like a true “pub,” as in “public house,” and not just a bar with an English/Irish theme.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

There's an awesome restaurant in the foothills near me on the way up into the mountains called the hawks head. It's a revolutionary war era tavern with period food and drink. Not totally middle earth, but the old world inn vibe is definitely there.
Ohtarvarno
Wayfarer

Post by Ohtarvarno »

The Wasdale Head Inn, Cumbria, England
Attachments
FB_IMG_1578829436188.jpg
FB_IMG_1578829436188.jpg (14.68 KiB) Viewed 20986 times
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

That's it! I'm moving to England!
Frodo lives!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

OK, I was waiting to go there at the weekend and take some pictures, but I couldn't wait any longer so I got some off google:

Leather's Smithy, Maccelsfield

Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
SierraStrider
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by SierraStrider »

Wow. As an uncultured Yank, that is about the most English-looking establishment I can imagine.

Ostrander hut, in Yosemite National Park.

Actually...it's a ways further out of my price range, but the Awhanee in the same park could pretty comfortably pass for Rivendell or other great hall if you stripped away some of the modern trappings.

I highly recommend the oatmeal, as it's the only thing on the menu I can afford!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Iodo wrote:OK, I was waiting to go there at the weekend and take some pictures, but I couldn't wait any longer so I got some off google
I've been up there earlier this week since some of the lock-down measures have been lifted, it's still closed but here's here's a photo I took of it from the other side of the lake:

Hanasian
Wanderer

Post by Hanasian »

A couple places I've been to that that seemed 'Middle Earthy' to me..
Fox & Hounds
The Brick Tavern

The Fox & Hounds George's Bar is a well done 'English Pub' and has the atmosphere.
The Brick in Roslyn Washington is close to the national forest area up the Cle Elum River where many an outing was taken. The Brick was a mandatory stop on our way back.
Hanasían
Annalist, Physician, & Historian
of The Black Company of the Dúnedain,
The Free Company of Arnor
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

I know where I’m going the next time I’m in the northwest!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
robinhoodsghost
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by robinhoodsghost »

I have been to THE SHIRE pub in Killarney, it was fun....great town.
SHIRE.jpg
SHIRE.jpg (61.37 KiB) Viewed 18440 times
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

I love the Pelican Inn in Muir Beach California, only stopped in for a pint, but would love to stay someday.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

robinhoodsghost wrote:I have been to THE SHIRE pub in Killarney, it was fun....great town
If I'd known that existed when I was in Ireland last year I'd have shown up in kit :lol:
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

UUUUUGH I so desperately wish there was somewhere here in Colorado with that kind of atmosphere that wouldn’t mind me invading for a night with a bunch of weirdos in costume. I so badly want to recreate the atmosphere of the Prancing Pony.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains