Rangers report!

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eric C
Vendor

Rangers report!

Post by Eric C »

Hail and well met! I hope each of you are well. I know many are in quarantine but my wife and I are considered essential.... okay. I'm just glad to still be working. Just curious: what is everyone up to these days in isolation? I am working on my first full length sword as well as the blade I started in memory of Christopher Tolkien. I'm also working on the last commission blade for a forum member and working on growing my YouTube channel. The fight continues with the VA. My PTSD case has gone to a higher level of review. It could be a couple months at least before I hear any more about it. Also, it looks like I have the opportunity to go back to school to train as a writer. This is a life-long dream of mine. So I'm excited about that.

So, what say you rangers? What things are you doing to pass the time?
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Darnokthemage
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Rangers report!

Post by Darnokthemage »

I have been doing Digital work! I am involved in a project called Ardacraft, which is building Middle Earth 1/10 its real scale ( the geographical size, that is) using Modded Minecraft. Have been co-project leader on a Rohirrim village by the Entwash.
Artist, larper and history lover.
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

I do leatherwork full time, so my apprentice and I divided our tools up and have been working out of our homes for the time being. We do a weekly trip to our workshop to collect odds and ends that we need, or to trade projects that one of us needs to finish for the other.

They just made it mandatory in my county to wear a face cover any time we go outside, so the one from my ranger gear has been getting a lot of use on store trips.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Other than not having left the farm in about a month, not much has changed for us so far.

The sheep are lambing like crazy and I'm making sure to get a good garden in just in case this thing keeps dragging on into the summer. Not that I expect grocery stores to empty out, but the less trips out the better I suppose. Leaves little enough time for ranger-play - but I suppose "Aerlinneth" was in much the same position all the time, so I'll just chalk up my garden time as research. :)

I pray you all have health and peace through all this passing craziness.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

While I'm still not as active as I once was, in my long absence, I think I came to some conclusions. Rangers had rough lives sometimes. They fought to survive. I'm sure many were cut down in the wilds defending people who were unaware of their sacrifices. They probably fought famine and disease in their small village base camps in the wilderness away from more civilized places like Bree or Gondor. I can imagine that through the things I've faced, I'm not that different from them. And neither are the rest of us. Whether it's tending sheep and a garden, working a craft such as leather with an apprentice or the forge or what have you, or it is working on an object of entertainment - a game - for others to enjoy, we are squaring our shoulders for the road ahead. We will face it. Your tasks aren't any more mundane than my own. But they are life for the Middle Earth Ranger. I commend each of you.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Amen to that prayer Elleth.
Things are going well here. Work has stayed good for me and everyone is healthy. Helping a friend build his house even.
Frodo lives!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

It's reached day 15 of the lock-down here in the UK, the factory where I work locked it's doors 10 days ago (the ironic thing is we have enough chemical plant to have started making hand sanitizer but the trade unions forced us to close) and I haven't been allowed further than walking distance from my home since so I've had lots of time for crafting things, both dwarf kit and otherwise and my family have had the same thought as Elleth and we've planted lots more food in the garden than ever before
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Iodo wrote:It's reached day 15 of the lock-down here in the UK, the factory where I work locked it's doors 10 days ago (the ironic thing is we have enough chemical plant to have started making hand sanitizer but the trade unions forced us to close) and I haven't been allowed further than walking distance from my home since so I've had lots of time for crafting things, both dwarf kit and otherwise and my family have had the same thought as Elleth and we've planted lots more food in the garden than ever before
I am sorry to hear that you are out of work at the moment. That is a very hard part of all of this. I may not like my job very much, but I am thankful that we are still working. Actually my job is getting better since our General Manager retired.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Eric C wrote: I am sorry to hear that you are out of work at the moment. That is a very hard part of all of this. I may not like my job very much, but I am thankful that we are still working
It's OK because I still live with my parents so I'm not stuck without money, and both of them have jobs they can do from home, it's just driving me a bit mad because I have to offer constant computer technical support to both of them LOL
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Iodo wrote: It's OK because I still live with my parents so I'm not stuck without money, and both of them have jobs they can do from home, it's just driving me a bit mad because I have to offer constant computer technical support to both of them LOL
Sounds like my poor kids. :lol: They are my tech support group.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

:P
Aravir
Dúnadan

Post by Aravir »

Luckily I'm still working for now. My wife was laid off last week.

Definitely miss being able to leave and go out into the woods. We've been on lockdown, going on Week 4 now. The trails, nature parks are all closed here and I imagine in most places. :/
We started growing a vegetable garden but indoors with a hydroponic system. They are growing so fast! We've got tomatoes, lettuce and basil for this first round.

Anyways, glad to see everyone is doing okay and trying to stay sane. I've been away from the forum now for several weeks with everything going on, but MERF always brings me up. The skill craft and virtues of Dunedain Rangers motivates to me do and be better.

What is everyone's first plans when this is all over? Ours is to go right back to Yosemite again and probably Muir Woods very soon after.

P.S. Good luck with the VA stuff Eric. As you know they make things difficult for sure.

Stay safe all,

Aravir.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Aravir wrote: What is everyone's first plans when this is all over?
Head out into the woods I guess :P
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

Aravir wrote:
What is everyone's first plans when this is all over? Ours is to go right back to Yosemite again and probably Muir Woods very soon after.

My wife is plotting our tour of every national Park in California, starting with Joshua tree and Yosemite. I'll wear my star so you can keep an eye out for me.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

We're lucky enough to have not just a large house so that we're not all on top of each other, but I have my Dragons Wood Inn project that I've been able to put a lot of time into. The Inn is on about a dozen wooded acres, and I've been checking the boundary lines. Probably thirty or forty years ago, someone ran steel fence posts with a single line of barbed wire on the border. A lot of it has rusted, disappeared under fallen trees, etc. , so I'm running a new non-barbed line.

Also, as I expect things to be a bit wonky for a few months, I've substantially expanded and fenced in our garden at the Inn. We normally buy seedlings from a garden supply store, but will be planting more vegetables from seeds this year.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál