Hello!

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Charlotte
Dúnadan

Hello!

Post by Charlotte »

I figured it was worth introducing myself!

I've generally been more involved in outdoors and traditional skills than I have in Tolkien's works (since I was a teen, anyway), but I recently got back into them and am excited to marry these two passions. I was genuinely pleasantly surprised to see this forum was not only still running but still active when I came across it googling around; so many I find have gone the way of the dodo one way or the other by the time I came across them, and that speaks promisingly of the robust nature of this community

While this may not be the easiest time for getting out and about in the woods, it's been an excellent time for crafting gear and I'm looking forward to continuing that - with a middle-earth focus - here.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: Hello!

Post by Iodo »

Hello and Welcome :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Mae Govannen! Welcome to the forum! Tell us about yourself and your crafting! Ranger? Rohirrim? Dwarf? Leather crafting, metal, wood? It’s always to good to have people that make things by hand.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Charlotte
Dúnadan

Post by Charlotte »

Probably a man (well, woman) of the wilds of Eriador of some kind, not sure whether a ranger specifically or not

Though I do plan, regardless of character (though mirkwood elf is a second, if less likely, possibility), on making one of those mirkwood camoflague tunics, maybe try hunting turkey in it lmao

I've been doing a lot of work with leather recently (got a whole half hide of moose recently so), most of it not really appropriate for middle earth though unless I was up by the ice bay - a beaver fur Siberian/Alaskan style trappers hat, ditto for the birch bark handled yakut knife. The dog fur felt liners might work once theres boots to go over them. First thing I finished recently specifically for this was a grey cloak - well, somewhere between a cloak and a ruana, I made it like the one Gandalf wears, or a shorter version of movie strider's.

Planning on starting with a tunic and some undergarments, though I'm going to make mockups first because the last shift I made fit *awfully*
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Welcome!
Frodo lives!
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Hail Ranger, Welcome.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Sorrel wrote: I've been doing a lot of work with leather recently (got a whole half hide of moose recently so), most of it not really appropriate for middle earth though unless I was up by the ice bay - a beaver fur Siberian/Alaskan style trappers hat, ditto for the birch bark handled yakut knife. The dog fur felt liners might work once theres boots to go over them. First thing I finished recently specifically for this was a grey cloak - well, somewhere between a cloak and a ruana, I made it like the one Gandalf wears, or a shorter version of movie strider's.
Sounds awesome :P I'd love to see pictures of the cloak
Sorrel wrote:Planning on starting with a tunic and some undergarments, though I'm going to make mockups first because the last shift I made fit *awfully*
Yep, making mock-ups first is the way to go, even when I'm confident the pattern is good I still end up changing something
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

Hail and well met!
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Hello and welcome!

What a neat idea for a setting you have in mind - I'm really curious to see what you do with it!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.