Reading Beowulf

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eric C
Vendor

Reading Beowulf

Post by Eric C »

Okay so, school and work are keeping me pretty busy lately. In my Literature class, were reading Beowulf and answering questions as we go along. For those who don't know, late in life Beowulf has to fight a gold-hoarding dragon. The question was, "how did the dragon get the golf?". One of the possible answers was, "It evicted a group of Dwarves and took it." :lol:
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Re: Reading Beowulf

Post by Cimrandir »

One of my favorite memes.
Beowulf Tolkien Meme.jpg
Beowulf Tolkien Meme.jpg (51.64 KiB) Viewed 2943 times
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Beowulf is my absolute passion. Which translation are you working from?

I performed for the first time last night, a 30 minute recitation solely from memory (in modern English).
Seeing the rapt faces of the audience in the firelight was wonderful.

There is also a copy of Benjamin Bagbys performance available on YouTube now (there never was in the past) I had the joy of seeing him perform live and it was amazing. If you haven't seen it it's well worth a look.

https://youtu.be/2WcIK_8f7oQ
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

Eric C wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:52 pm Okay so, school and work are keeping me pretty busy lately. In my Literature class, were reading Beowulf and answering questions as we go along. For those who don't know, late in life Beowulf has to fight a gold-hoarding dragon. The question was, "how did the dragon get the golf?". One of the possible answers was, "It evicted a group of Dwarves and took it." :lol:

Maybe you know this already, but in case you don't, the Professor wrote a translation of and commentary on Beowulf.

His son, Christopher, published it about 5 years ago

Also, if your class hasn't already done so, listen to the poem in Old English.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Eofor wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:00 pm Beowulf is my absolute passion. Which translation are you working from?

I performed for the first time last night, a 30 minute recitation solely from memory (in modern English).
Seeing the rapt faces of the audience in the firelight was wonderful.

There is also a copy of Benjamin Bagbys performance available on YouTube now (there never was in the past) I had the joy of seeing him perform live and it was amazing. If you haven't seen it it's well worth a look.

https://youtu.be/2WcIK_8f7oQ
How exciting! I’ll definitely be checking that out, thank you for the link! Wish I could have been by the fireside to hear your rousing rendition!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains