Art showing a Snapsack

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Iodo
Thangailhir

Art showing a Snapsack

Post by Iodo »

It's not often I've seen the Snapsack depicted in Middle earth art outside of this forum, so I thought I'd share it here

https://www.deviantart.com/aegeri/art/T ... -878658605

and it struck me how similar this gear carry method is to what I had at the weekend (viewtopic.php?p=49957#p49957), the only difference being the painting shows the straps over alternate shoulders instead of the same side
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Art showing a Snapsack

Post by Elleth »

Very cool!
The resemblance is uncanny. :)

It's interesting watching artists and reenactors/LARPers/cosplayers sort of mutually inspire each other over time.

A couple years ago I went down a research rabbit trail, looking at mass-market fantasy art on the one hand, and the evolution of real outdoor stuff on the other.

My very favorite insight of that was seeing how much the adventurer's packs of 1980's dungeons and dragons art looked like leather versions of the boy scout packs of the 1950's and '60s.
fantasy-scouting-pack.jpg
fantasy-scouting-pack.jpg (30.32 KiB) Viewed 2429 times
Obviously there's some differences - but "great big square box with rectangular side gussets" was the American standard for ages.

Even in fantasy, we populate the mundane part of the world with what we know. :mrgreen:
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Hah! How cool! I agree, Elleth, it’s always fascinating to see art imitating life, imitating art, imitating... etc. :lol:
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

It's always nice when artists do their research and give a nod to real-world practicality and experience!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain