Recent Photo Shoot (FULL ALBUM)

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Manveruon
Thangailhir

Recent Photo Shoot (FULL ALBUM)

Post by Manveruon »

I am FINALLY done editing all these pictures from my photo shoot back in May, so I wanted to share them here so everyone can enjoy! Rather than trying to post them all here, I have uploaded them into an Imgur gallery for easy viewing! You can find the gallery here:

https://imgur.com/gallery/Tt5x0ox

So as many of you know, throughout the last year or so I have been working on a ton of updates to my Ranger kit, including a new leather jerkin, new (refurbished) boots, a new pouch, knife sheath, quiver, and cloak! Also, I received the gorgeous star brooch from Eofor a while back, and I haven’t had a chance to show any of it off!

So last month my wife and I decided to head up into the foothills just west of Denver on a particularly cold and wet day to get some proper photos of it, and I am SUUUUPER excited about how they came out! The area we visited was the Boettcher Mansion on Lookout Mountain in Golden, CO - and when it gets rainy here, the foothills tend to get covered in really dense fog. We got really lucky with the weather, honestly, because rainy days like that are fairly rare here, but luckily we had a wetter-than-usual spring. We also brought our dog, Emmett, along for the adventure, and he was a total trouper! (Pics with Emmett towards the end!)

A few notes:
- Normally I try to do as many “practical” outings as possible in my kit, with an emphasis on actually getting out into nature, practicing outdoorsmanship/bushcrafting skills, and so forth, rather than just aiming to get pretty photos. However, I tried several times last year to get a group together for a hike, and for many reasons including but not limited to the pandemic, that consistently fell through. So I figured, DANG IT, I worked hard on this stuff, and I want some good pictures of it! They’re definitely more stylized than most of what I (and others) tend to post on here, but the kit is still my full practical ranger kit, with only a few things left out.
- One of those things I left out was my water flacket, which I forgot to bring along, and kicked myself about because I’m really proud of my work on that piece and it would have looked great in photos. Oh well. Next time.
- Most of these are edited in some way, whether it’s color correction, or brightening the light of the lanterns, or taking out power lines, etc. But the damp and the fog and the generally awesome atmosphere was all very real! It was an incredible time to be out dressed in kit!
- I couldn’t resist and added a Black Rider into one of the shots, which I thought came out really cool! I got the image from the old AlleyCatScratch website, and it worked surprisingly well. I also included the version of the image before adding the Nazgul in at the very end of the gallery.
- Because I have target points on all of my arrows currently, I did do a little creative editing and digitally added “broadheads” onto them in the photos where they’re visible so as to not to distract from the aesthetic with anything too modern.
- Overall, I’m really happy with where my kit is at! it still needs a few things, but it’s really coming together! I’d like to submit it for approval to the Middle-earth Reenactment Society soon! I just need to start work on my new-new cloak, since technically this one was just a prototype for that design. The new one will have all visible seams hand-stitched (this one is mostly machine-stitched, even on the hems), and the cross-over closure at the neck will hopefully be longer so the star brooch sits more on the shoulder. I’d also like to make a couple alternative tunics from wool since mine are currently all linen, and I need to finally use the heavy wool I’ve had lying around for ages and make some proper trousers (these are technically repurposed dress-pants, and while you can’t really tell in most photos, they’re still not up to my personal standards, for obvious reasons).

Anyway, I think that’s all! Hope you all enjoy!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Recent Photo Shoot (FULL ALBUM)

Post by Elleth »

Oh very fun! :mrgreen:

... did you shoot the Nazgul one knowing you'd be dropping something in there, or did the idea occur to you only once you were retouching the pictures?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Ghostsoldier
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Ghostsoldier »

Well, I know I raved about it over on Facebook, but it's worthy of much praise... your kit looks phenomenal, and your crafting skills and attention to detail are unmatched. Bravo, Michael! :P

Rob
"Nothing's forgotten."
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Thanks, folks! I’m honestly kind of giddy about how these came out! Still definitely need to finish a few things on my kit, but it’s SO CLOSE to being 100% I can taste it! XD
Elleth wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:26 am Oh very fun! :mrgreen:

... did you shoot the Nazgul one knowing you'd be dropping something in there, or did the idea occur to you only once you were retouching the pictures?
That’s a good question! When we shot that I did joke about digitally inserting something into the shot afterwards, but I wasn’t actually sure I could. Mostly we were just trying to imply it, and capture a cool looking, dramatic image. We actually took quite a few from slightly different angles and so forth, but this was the one I liked the best, and the one that worked the best for editing.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Brilliant photos Manveruon, your kit is on it's own level.
Manveruon wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:59 pm So I figured, DANG IT, I worked hard on this stuff, and I want some good pictures of it!
There's no shame in doing a photoshoot like this - I often find the same thing when putting in a lot of work on kit and then on the adventure the last thing I want to be doing is pulling my phone out all the time and even if I do there are rarely any photos of me.
I think a separate shoot like you've done is a far better idea, or even inviting a dedicated photographer on an easy walk to capture some candid moments.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

These are awesome. Needs more battle with the warg.
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Yes outstanding!
Frodo lives!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

incredible photo's :P

and I see you have mastered the crossover cloak design (unlike myself), nice work :mrgreen:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Awesome. Simply awesome.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain