Introduction

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Erfaron
Dúnadan

Introduction

Post by Erfaron »

Greetings and good tidings to all my fellow rangers and other folk. I am just starting on this grand adventure, currently picking and writing up my persona, and will take any welcome, tips and tidbits on how to begin. Located in west/central FL, so im thinking a southern Ithilien might be my best choice.
Thank you all in advance and happy trails.
Kirk
"There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go." -Gandalf, Chapter 7, The Hobbit
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Re: Introduction

Post by Cimrandir »

Mae Govannen! Welcome to the forum!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Welcome!

Ithilien sounds a perfect place for reference. Are you assuming Faramir's company then?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

Welcome, Ranger!
Erfaron
Dúnadan

Post by Erfaron »

Elleth wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:49 pm Welcome!

Ithilien sounds a perfect place for reference. Are you assuming Faramir's company then?
That is my plan as of this time, I come from the north originally so I was thinking of having a dunedain that moved south and stayed for some reason, my personal choice is that he fell in love with a gondorian maiden and stayed to protect her homeland. But I’m trying to avoid the “special person”vibe and wasn’t sure if it was too far that way
"There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go." -Gandalf, Chapter 7, The Hobbit
Ghostsoldier
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Ghostsoldier »

Welcome, Ranger! I, too, am from the nether region known by it's modern name as 'Florida"...north central, to be exact. :P

Rob
"Nothing's forgotten."
Erfaron
Dúnadan

Post by Erfaron »

Ghostsoldier wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:55 pm Welcome, Ranger! I, too, am from the nether region known by it's modern name as 'Florida"...north central, to be exact. :P

Rob
Nether region is an accurate description, actually had a question then, if you do overnighters in kit, do you do a minimalist shelter? If so how do you feel about bugs / snakes / other critters in the marshes of Ithilien
Ghostsoldier
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Ghostsoldier »

Kirkinan wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:29 am
Ghostsoldier wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:55 pm Welcome, Ranger! I, too, am from the nether region known by it's modern name as 'Florida"...north central, to be exact. :P

Rob
Nether region is an accurate description, actually had a question then, if you do overnighters in kit, do you do a minimalist shelter? If so how do you feel about bugs / snakes / other critters in the marshes of Ithilien
Kirk,

Marshes, indeed...we have plenty of those (swamps).

Like yourself, I'm relatively new to this hobby, so I haven't attempted to overnight in my kit, as of yet...I still have to add more 'essentials' to my uniform in order to make it comfortable and/or functional enough to live outdoors for an extended period of time.

I have been a native Floridian my whole life, and a WW2 reenactor hobbyist for almost 20 years now; I have participated in many 'total immersion' events where we lived off period K-rations, used campfires and slept in pup tents...not exactly "roughing it" as you would do as a Ranger, but the weather is always a challenging experience (no matter how many 1940s creature comforts we have).

As far as the insects, reptiles and other flora and fauna go (except for the last 12 years), I had previously worked the profession of land surveying for 28 years. In doing so, I've had to deal with snakes of all varieties, stinging and biting insects, wild animals, alligators and even a black bear or two. Doing that job daily put me in the very environs where those creatures live and dwell, and I have had my experiences with all of them; and honestly, they don't bother me at this point. Except the heat. I hate the Florida heat.

I must say that here in north Florida, all of those beasties are problematic to outdoor living, no matter what time of the day, month or the season. Our year-long, semi-moderate subtropical weather makes them a constant issue that has to be dealt with; on the positive side, there are myriad ways and means available to the 'modern Ranger' to comfortably aid in sharing an outdoor existence with these creatures and their harsh environments (i.e., insect repellents, topical skin creams for rashes and bites, campsite animal food control methods, etc.).

One of these days, when (and if) we build a decent contingent of Southern Rangers in Florida (Ithilian or otherwise), I'd really like to organize a total immersion rangering event in which we can participate; until then, I'll continue adding to my kit with the hopes of actually utilizing it in a practical setting, other than frequenting Renfaires and pop conventions. :P

Rob
"Nothing's forgotten."
Erfaron
Dúnadan

Post by Erfaron »

Ghostsoldier wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:13 am
Kirkinan wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:29 am

Rob
Kirk,

Marshes, indeed...we have plenty of those (swamps).

Like yourself, I'm relatively new to this hobby, so I haven't attempted to overnight in my kit, as of yet...I still have to add more 'essentials' to my uniform in order to make it comfortable and/or functional enough to live outdoors for an extended period of time.

I have been a native Floridian my whole life, and a WW2 reenactor hobbyist for almost 20 years now; I have participated in many 'total immersion' events where we lived off period K-rations, used campfires and slept in pup tents...not exactly "roughing it" as you would do as a Ranger, but the weather is always a challenging experience (no matter how many 1940s creature comforts we have).

As far as the insects, reptiles and other flora and fauna go (except for the last 12 years), I had previously worked the profession of land surveying for 28 years. In doing so, I've had to deal with snakes of all varieties, stinging and biting insects, wild animals, alligators and even a black bear or two. Doing that job daily put me in the very environs where those creatures live and dwell, and I have had my experiences with all of them; and honestly, they don't bother me at this point. Except the heat. I hate the Florida heat.

I must say that here in north Florida, all of those beasties are problematic to outdoor living, no matter what time of the day, month or the season. Our year-long, semi-moderate subtropical weather makes them a constant issue that has to be dealt with; on the positive side, there are myriad ways and means available to the 'modern Ranger' to comfortably aid in sharing an outdoor existence with these creatures and their harsh environments (i.e., insect repellents, topical skin creams for rashes and bites, campsite animal food control methods, etc.).

One of these days, when (and if) we build a decent contingent of Southern Rangers in Florida (Ithilian or otherwise), I'd really like to organize a total immersion rangering event in which we can participate; until then, I'll continue adding to my kit with the hopes of actually utilizing it in a practical setting, other than frequenting Renfaires and pop conventions. :P

Rob
I think having a good outing would be awesome when enough people are in our region. And i understand your need for more, practical pieces of kit. Honestly my main thing is trying to get the initial set of clothing, im not the greatest at sewing at this time, and i was considering purchasing a pair of high breeches, linen, from Grimfrost, they have fantastic old english / viking items.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Welcome to the Forum!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Welcome Ranger :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Welcome!
Frodo lives!
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Huzzah Kirkinan!

A most hearty welcome here to the forums, may your stay be helpful and prosperous!
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.