Hard drinks in Middle Earth

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Erfaron
Dúnadan

Re: Hard drinks in Middle Earth

Post by Erfaron »

Ah, my mistake, thankfully I have never distilled anything as of yet but i appreciate you correcting me and saving me from the dungeons of Baradur
"There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go." -Gandalf, Chapter 7, The Hobbit
A Mayer
Dúnadan

Post by A Mayer »

Well, I’m going with the fact that Ted Sandyman mentions moonshine. And Rangers need their occasional brown liquor.

Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Good catch on the moonshine reference! I had entirely forgotten about that throw-away line! Had to go look it up to remind myself!
Of course, one could perhaps interpret that as a sort of fanciful interpretation by the translator (like a good many things in the Hobbit, for example), but if anyone in Middle-earth would be likely to have invented spirit distillation, it makes sense it would be the Hobbits (and if the Hobbits have it, then it would follow that it would be plausible for at least Dwarves and maybe Elves to have it as well).

At any rate, I’ll take it! :lol:
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
A Mayer
Dúnadan

Post by A Mayer »

Manveruon wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:05 pm Good catch on the moonshine reference! I had entirely forgotten about that throw-away line! Had to go look it up to remind myself!
Of course, one could perhaps interpret that as a sort of fanciful interpretation by the translator (like a good many things in the Hobbit, for example), but if anyone in Middle-earth would be likely to have invented spirit distillation, it makes sense it would be the Hobbits (and if the Hobbits have it, then it would follow that it would be plausible for at least Dwarves and maybe Elves to have it as well).

At any rate, I’ll take it! :lol:
It's certainly a throw-away line.....but good enough for me🥃
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

"‘Leastways old Bilbo was cracked, and Frodo’s cracking. If that’s where you get your news from, you’ll never want for moonshine. Well, friends, I’m off home. Your good health!’ He drained his mug and went out noisily." (LR I:2)

Unfortunately, Ted is not speaking here of high-proof alcohol, but is using "moonshine" in its colloquial meaning: empty or foolish talk, ideas, nonsense.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA