Middle-earth material culture resource

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: Middle-earth material culture resource

Post by Greg »

Can't wait to read them.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Greg

Post by Greg »

After some fussing with code (a never-ending battle), some blurb-writing, and an enormous contribution on the part of Udwin, the culmination of roughly 6 months in the shire-reckoning of detailed research and documentation, the Middle-Earth Material & Cultural Database, which finds its home on our wiki homepage, has been officially launched and made public.

The responsibility now lands on you all to continue to write down your research as you find it; Udwin makes no claims that the works he has detailed here are completely covered. If you find something you see as helpful or noteworthy to any Middle-Earth re-creationist, go check the appropriate section and see if it's there, so we can continue to expand this part of the wiki. I have no doubt that we'll start reeling in more like-minded folks through the content shown here, and the content to come as this new, all-important section of our database grows.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

The database looks really good, Greg! This project had been kicking around in my head for some time, and I'm glad we were able to see it put together.
But... he is right: it's nowhere near finished! There are plenty of gaps for you good folks to fill in...like, say, anything to do with the First and Second Ages--that's a major blindspot of mine--as well as plenty of Third Age stuff, too. Don't be shy about contributing!

One thing I'm going to work on adding into the references at the appropriate places are Tolkien's own illustrations (drawn from here); if our goal is to help users visualize (in order to re-create) Tolkien's world, surely it would be a good first step to see what he has already translated into images?
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Greg

Post by Greg »

I actually spent a good deal of time yesterday trying to track down his illustrations...thanks for the resource!

As for the first age, I'm working on cataloguing Children of Hurin right now.