Winter in Wilderland

MiddleEarthRangers.org has graciously provided this space for the Middle Earth Reenactment Society for purposes of archiving/presenting their newsletter, and to keep our community informed on Society-specific happenings.

Moderator: Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Winter in Wilderland

Post by Greg »

In traditional historical Reenactment, many events (at least, the ones you hear about!) have a central theme of either a time, place, or specific event such as a famous battle. As a part of a new effort to create more high-authenticity events within the Middle-earth Reenactment Society, we are proud to present a fresh video of a recent Winter trek involving two of our members.

This outing was set in northern Wilderland during the time that the Fellowship spent at Rivendell, when a large number of scouts and spies were sent out, near and far, to take stock of the situation before the ring set forth, during which two unlikely companions met for a night during an early winter freeze.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eErnc4S1328&t=12s
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Aravir
Dúnadan

Re: Winter in Wilderland

Post by Aravir »

Woah awesome clip!

Looks like fun. Hats off to being barefoot too for part of that trek. Always feels good to reconnect to the soil in a way you just can’t with things on your feet. :)
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Amazing video :P

When you lit the fire, is it a candle that you light first?
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Oh.... well done gentlemen. That's just amazing. :mrgreen:
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Iodo wrote:s it a candle that you light first?
Usually not. In this case, it was almost pitch black at that time, so the idea of splitting kindling in the dark didn't appeal, and we lit a candle.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

That looks like an excellent outing, and the video is very well done!

Was the hut something that was constructed on another outing? Did you keep a fire going in the hut most of the night? That windchill was serious business!

That's an excellent "period" to set a trek during, especially one like this! The mid-Atlantic folks have been playing with that sort of idea for our get-togethers - with the range of personas we have, we tend to pick the return of the Rangers and the rebuilding of the North in the early 4th age. We've toyed with some first-person interpretation (or LARPing, depending on your perspective on what we do), but I find it difficult to maintain that sort of thing in a low-key camp setting without a fair amount of preparation and practice. Is that something that y'all have tried at all?
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Greg wrote: Usually not. In this case, it was almost pitch black at that time, so the idea of splitting kindling in the dark didn't appeal, and we lit a candle.
Makes sense
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Taurinor wrote:Was the hut something that was constructed on another outing? Did you keep a fire going in the hut most of the night? That windchill was serious business!
We've constructed various shelters on previous trips, but this one we actually FOUND on our last group trek, along the way. It was completed but appeared unused for some time and was patchy/had holes in some places, etc. We spruced it up a bit for this trip specifically, and used it because it was so enclosed so it'd be able to contain the heat of our fire better, which was, yes, inside all night. Austin made a makeshift door out of some linen he had on hand to keep the wind out. I'd guess that it felt about 15-20 degrees warmer inside than outside, though that didn't prevent my waterskin from freezing...it was near the edge of the shelter, and you could still feel cold air at the base.
SierraStrider
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by SierraStrider »

Those temps blow my California mind! I mean, I've spent one or two colder nights in modern kit, but I've also spent warmer nights at 9,000 feet in January! I can't imagine doing that with period gear. I'm wanting to try a trek near freezing soon and unsure even how I'll pull that off.

I've seen you use your little mouth bellows on a few videos--is that some copper tubing or a plant-based tube, like a reed or elder twig?
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

What an ADVENTURE! The MERS guys and I have been on a fair amount of treks (7???) over the years, but none so far have been in conditions this extreme before. A couple of considerations, takeaways, and things I tried out will find their way into our next newsletter I'm sure! ; )

Sierrastrider, the bellows-tube is actually a goose's wingbone (the ulna, I believe)!
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
SierraStrider
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by SierraStrider »

Udwin wrote:The bellows-tube is actually a goose's wingbone (the ulna, I believe)!
That's brilliant. I have a little piece of copper tubing I use for the purpose but despite the material used, it's rather obviously modern. I know that elder twigs can be hollowed out, but a bird bone would be significantly less flammable.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Great video clip. You need to find some Orcs for the next one.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

WOW. WOW WOW WOW. Very very impressive!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Greg

Post by Greg »

Straelbora wrote:You need to find some Orcs for the next one.
There were two pairs of orcs on patrol that we narrowly avoided contact with, carrying torches along the nearby road. They were strangely arrayed in bright primary colors with torches that shone in rather specific directions rather than all around, and carried mysterious walking sticks in both hands(!) if you can believe it. They never made contact, but their gait slowed and we believe the smell of our fire made them suspicious. Thankfully, there was no need to dispatch them outright.
Udwin wrote:What an ADVENTURE!
Every outing with this amazing group of people brings new challenges, but we get better at what we do every time we go out. I couldn't ask for a better group of fellows!