Summer 2020 available now!

MiddleEarthRangers.org has graciously provided this space for the Middle Earth Reenactment Society for purposes of archiving/presenting their newsletter, and to keep our community informed on Society-specific happenings.

Moderator: Greg

Udwin
Vendor

Summer 2020 available now!

Post by Udwin »

The members of the MERS are proud to announce that the latest issue of Edge of the Wild is now available! We are focusing in this issue on deeper dives into Middle-earth lore related to traveling! Check it out by direct PDF download HERE, or you can browse this and past issues on the Newsletters section of our website. Please share freely among your circles, consider joining our subscription mailing list, and give us a like on Facebook and Instagram.
Please enjoy!
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: Summer 2020 available now!

Post by Greg »

Great job, everyone! Really enjoyed working on this one. Traveling is a BIG part of what we do, and there was WAY more info buried in the text than I expected once all was said and done.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

Another fine job.

Thanks for sharing.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Awesome information, thank you :P

and orcs are fast!!! I knew they were "faster" but I had honestly never considered by how much
If an Isengarder’s pace is say, 1/8th faster than
the usual orc (4.5 mph), they would travel 22.5
miles in 5.5 hours (average pace of 3.75 mph) x
4.36 marches per 24 hours = 98 miles per day!
that is just insane :mrgreen:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

VERY COOL!!! :mrgreen:

The article on Dunedain marching I especially liked! And

The boot article also comes just in time - I think this might be the year I finally sew up a set. I've been scared off them forever, but the more turnshoes I look at, the more I see they're basically funny-shaped pouches. I think with that mindset, it might actually be doable. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Greg

Post by Greg »

If you ask REALLY nicely, I've got a secret for fitting them that's yielding positive results...
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Ooh! Ooh!

My dear Greg, would you be so kind as to share your hard-won secrets with us?
I should be ever so grateful, and endeavor to be half so well shod as yourself.

:mrgreen:
Ghostsoldier
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Ghostsoldier »

Excellent issue, all! :P
"Nothing's forgotten."
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Greg wrote:If you ask REALLY nicely, I've got a secret for fitting them that's yielding positive results...
Apparently Pretty Please with Sugar on it doesn't work anymore. The times they are a changing ! :P

I too really enjoyed the distance marched article.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Elleth wrote:Ooh! Ooh!

My dear Greg, would you be so kind as to share your hard-won secrets with us?
I should be ever so grateful, and endeavor to be half so well shod as yourself.

:mrgreen:
WOW. That's laying it on pretty thick.

I'll have to gather some notes...I'm actually in the process of making some new boots as we speak. They were supposed to be finished in time for the newsletter, but you know how those deadlines are...
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

I am curious about the traction with turnshoes. Through my reading of the forum, I've noticed that with turnshoes, people have issue with hills, grass, and other slick surfaces. With the traction noted in the issue, is there a special trick or way to get the soles a little less slippery?
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Firstly, I really enjoyed the read guys. We're working on some watercraft stuff with a friend so thank you for a timely article and also the reminder to go back and read the Lake Town one as well.
Haradir wrote:With the traction noted in the issue, is there a special trick or way to get the soles a little less slippery?
It could be a placebo but I've found rubbing the sole of new shoes with a bit of beeswax seems to give a bit of tackiness that helps. Overall I rarely find myself struggling for grip as I adjust my balance and stride when wearing turn shoes but for the genuinely impassable terrain the only real options are crampons.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Cimrandir wrote:I am curious about the traction with turnshoes. Through my reading of the forum, I've noticed that with turnshoes, people have issue with hills, grass, and other slick surfaces. With the traction noted in the issue, is there a special trick or way to get the soles a little less slippery?
I've always found it fascinating how much trouble people have, to be honest. I've never treated my soles with anything, and only find them to be slick when walking on wet, mossy logs/rocks and ice. Even going down steep inclines, I don't really have issues. Sorry I'm not more help... :/
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Granted, my knowledge is entirely secondhand. I’ve never worn a pair in my life. Good to know that they aren’t as slippery I was thinking. Given that I’m not terribly experienced with leathercrafting, how hard would it be to make a pair for myself? Or would it be best to purchase a pair to get a feel for them first?
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

WOW. That's laying it on pretty thick.
Ha! :mrgreen:

And thank you for the notes!

Cimrandir: I think once a leather sole is worn in a bit, it does get better. But yeah - there's a hill out back that's just murder no matter what with turnshoes. I wonder if it's just the ground cover there?

Or maybe fit plays a part? It seems to me in theory a tighter fit or thinner sole might flex with the foot better, letting one naturally "grab" the ground a bit better. But I've not enough experience with enough different shoes/boots to say for certain.

Regardless, a while back I ordered some of the "viking style" crampons from Daegrad, but simply haven't had the time to stitch up some strapping for them. Maybe by fall...