Autumn 2021 Available Now!

MiddleEarthRangers.org has graciously provided this space for the Middle Earth Reenactment Society for purposes of archiving/presenting their newsletter, and to keep our community informed on Society-specific happenings.

Moderator: Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Autumn 2021 Available Now!

Post by Greg »

We are proud to announce that our latest edition of Edge of the Wild is now available, and can be read and downloaded HERE!

We were thrilled to compile this edition for you, and hope that you enjoy reading through some parts of Middle-earth through the eyes of the common-folk. Please share freely among your circles, consider joining our subscription mailing list, and give us a like on Facebook and Instagram.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Ghostsoldier
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Autumn 2021 Available Now!

Post by Ghostsoldier »

What an excellent issue! :P

Rob
"Nothing's forgotten."
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

Thanks for sharing!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Awesome stuff :mrgreen:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

That was GLORIOUS! Every single article was great fun!!
I somehow had not remembered that Odigan was a farrier as well as a smith, and the Bree article was very useful - the documented list of footstuffs especially!

.... though I have to say that the "Dunedain Children: A Day in the Life" was my favorite article in a really long time. :mrgreen:

Where is that hearth, if I may ask? Is it in your for-real kitchen?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Oh, I wish!

It's a 3-walled stone Picnic Shelter at a local park. Fireplaces are common in the state parks and the like around here, though quite a few in the bigger parks have begun being boarded up. This one's off the beaten path and has been on my radar for a few years. It's on both the cover and page 2 of Volume 5, Issue 3 as well, though it's a little harder to make out.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Greg wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:05 am Oh, I wish!

It's a 3-walled stone Picnic Shelter at a local park. Fireplaces are common in the state parks and the like around here, though quite a few in the bigger parks have begun being boarded up. This one's off the beaten path and has been on my radar for a few years. It's on both the cover and page 2 of Volume 5, Issue 3 as well, though it's a little harder to make out.
I wondered if that’s what it was! We have a bunch up in the foothills here in CO that are similar, but yeah, most of them are unfortunately being closed off or otherwise made non-functional (and therefore entirely un-photogenic).
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Greg

Post by Greg »

You may notice that all the photos with the fireplace in them are from generally the same direction. If I took them the other way, you’d be treated with a lovely view of some graffiti. There’s more that I cover by hanging my cloak by the fire. Photo magic!
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Oh cool! I like those other pictures as well!
It's a gorgeous setting - pity about the orcs.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Loved it! I am not exaggerating when I say that one of the greatest pleasures in my life is waking up on the weekend, fixing myself a cup of tea or coffee early in the morning and leisurely reading the latest issue of EotW. I especially enjoyed the narrative and poetic parts of this issue. Well done to Odigan and Elleth!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

awwwww. :)

Oh! I just saw an error - strike "until cracker hard" from that last line of the baking instructions.

I tried the recipe both with and without added butter, and *with* lasted at least as long without starting to taste off, and had a much better texture. Two bakings gets them to a nice firm-but-chewable cake. They keep at least three weeks at room tempature - at least mine did. They might have gone longer, but I - um - ran out. :mrgreen:
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

An excellent read thank you and probably the most true so far to the societies goal of portraying the common folk.

I particularly liked Elleths writing. It's a concept we have to explain all the time in living history, that the (usually gender assigned) domestic roles were equally if not more important than the workers or warriors.
In an example of perfect forum synergy the numbers Cimrandir floated on a recent thread re: time taken to make a cloak, hammer this home wonderfully :mrgreen:
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.