MERF Random Adventure Pictures

Whether new to the forum, or completely new to the community, herein you will find the best information to-date to help you get started on the right foot with that dangerous business of going out your door.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Erfaron
Dúnadan

Re: MERF Random Adventure Pictures

Post by Erfaron »

Jack wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:05 pm Erfaron, for a moment I was anticipating for lunch to be the afore pictured pigs lol
Lmao no no, I would have probably put a warning up if that was the case, plus honestly I’m not a huge fan of hunting younger animals of it isn’t a survival necessity.
"There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go." -Gandalf, Chapter 7, The Hobbit
Desert Loon
Dúnadan

Post by Desert Loon »

Cute piggies! They look too mellow to be javelinas, am I right? And that bread looks like bannock/pan de campo. I'm guessing southeast US?

A cherry wood bow sounds lovely!
Glory be to God for dappled things
And áll trádes, their gear and tackle and trim. (Hopkins)
Erfaron
Dúnadan

Post by Erfaron »

Desert Loon wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 3:43 am Cute piggies! They look too mellow to be javelinas, am I right? And that bread looks like bannock/pan de campo. I'm guessing southeast US?

A cherry wood bow sounds lovely!
Ya those are just juvenile wild hogs, and ya more bannock bread, it’s actually a gluten free pancake mix with just water and salt, comes out sweet and delicious
"There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go." -Gandalf, Chapter 7, The Hobbit
Jack
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Jack »

Usually don't pull my phone out for pictures while out and about but I had to snap this one real quick. Felt kinda "middle-earthy"...
Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

That is beautiful!!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Wow great shot!
Frodo lives!
Desert Loon
Dúnadan

Post by Desert Loon »

Sometimes you stumble on gateways. It's good to keep on the alert for such moments. Thanks for sharing!
Desert Loon
Dúnadan

Post by Desert Loon »

This past weekend I went with some family on an overnight hike.

Y Mountain overlooks Utah Valley. It gets its name from a big letter Y on its side, put there as an emblem for Brigham Young University. Hiking up to the Y is a popular pastime among the locals. It's about a mile up to the Y and very steep. About a mile beyond that, a narrower but still very steep trail goes up the side of the mountain to a cleft between it and its southern neighbor. There is a little flat there with a meadow surrounded by scrub oak, spruce and a few aspens. That is where we camped.

It snowed a little bit on us as we hiked up.

Technically you could say I was testing one piece of gear: this highland bonnet. Reflecting on ForgeCorvus' advice I thought I'd try it as a possibility for my kit (besides, I can also wear it with the Highland Scottish outfit I'm putting together). It proved a very useful hat indeed, helping to keep my head warm through a very cold night.

Looking out over the valley.

A couple views of the meadow, as the sun went down.

Fires are generally not allowed in our mountains, but since it was already below freezing up there, and there was a stone-lined firepit and plenty dead wood to gather, and everything around was so green, well, we couldn't help ourselves:
We made sure to smother the embers with dirt when we turned in.

A distant view of where I slept: tarp shelter with pad, sleeping bag, and my great plaid draped over the end of the shelter as a windbreak. I actually slept decently. I'm waiting on some bigger and better wool blankets and planning to make an oilcloth - and then trying such a bedroll on a night when it doesn't get down into the low 20s!

The meadow in the morning

Some views on the way back down.

At the bottom we enjoyed a few well-earned comforts. The hot cocoa was particularly good.
I don't know if I'm off, but I like to imagine that parts of northern Lebennin might look kind of like this.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

that looks like an amazing place to camp, awesome :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

That looks amazing!!
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

It really does sound like an beautiful place to camp Hæðgegaf. I visited the states several years ago and would have guessed at Utah from your photos.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Wow! That's a beautiful spot to get an overnight camp in. Glad to hear it went well!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

The weather can change suddenly in the high country of the Troll-fells and autumn blizzards though rare still happen. This day had started well enough but as I drew within sight of the mountain pass the wind and driving snow set in and forced me back down the valley in source of shelter. The conditions there were milder but one glance at the mountain showed the wisdom of the choice.

It will be summer before anyone risks the path again.

But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

extraordinary!!

.... did you learn anything fun with your fur-cloak-thing?
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Elleth wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:38 pm extraordinary!!

.... did you learn anything fun with your fur-cloak-thing?
It's a wonderful textile, never too hot and never too cold. The snow sits on top of the fleece and never gets enough body warmth to melt so it ends up forming almost a solid insulating layer (or so it seems) You do need to shake like a wet dog every half hour or so though or the weight of the snow can get a bit oppressive.
Sadly no rain this trip so that verdict will have to wait but honestly it's still one of the favorite things I own.