MERF Random Adventure Pictures

Whether new to the forum, or completely new to the community, herein you will find the best information to-date to help you get started on the right foot with that dangerous business of going out your door.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Jack
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: MERF Random Adventure Pictures

Post by Jack »

Taylor Steiner wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:58 am Glacier https://imgur.com/gallery/Og5QU7P
Awesome pics Taylor
Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Awesome photos Taylor :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Thanks guys!
Frodo lives!
Togon
Dúnadan

Post by Togon »

Desert Loon wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:04 am Togon, these pictures delight me. Your landscape reminds me of my own. I took a short stroll onto Mahogany Mountain this morning and the grass is yellow, with green still showing in sagebrush and especially scrub oak:

I didn't have time to follow the trail up onto the top of that hill in the background, therefore the disgruntled look here, when I had to turn around:

I was doing more field testing: still not full gear, but I wanted to see how my highland bonnet performed on a clear Utah summer day in the hills. For the past two years I too have been wearing shemaghs on my head, which are wonderful, but as I've written before I thought the bonnet might make more sense on the head of someone from northern Lebennin/Lossarnach region. It continues to give satisfaction: I can shift it to shade my face in whatever direction the sun shines.

At least my shirt was all cotton - from Greece, in fact, so I could kind of imagine it to be similar to a Gondorian garment. And then there's my new rucksack:

It's a Czech army rucksack made in 1958, so it has no synthetics: linen, leather and metal. If it looks anachronistic, I flatter myself that in its basic pattern it can resemble a Ranger's pack made with thought and skill. Here's a view of it sitting on the ground waiting to be picked up:

I might make a separate post about it. Very affordable and I found it comfortable for this brief trial at least, even with its narrow straps.
I like your rig, especially your cap! I need one for myself as well. I'll have to raid a surplus store for a pack too. I'm doing satchels right now and its giving my stabilizer muscles a heck of a workout.
‘If by your carelessness you wish to do our enemies work then you may as well carry one of his brands’
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Everyone is out having adventures. That does it, Heimir and I are off over the Misty Mountains next week in search of adventure!
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

https://youtube.com/shorts/3YYu-JEnkSY?feature=share this place always felt very middle earth to me.
Frodo lives!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Eofor wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:53 pm Everyone is out having adventures. That does it, Heimir and I are off over the Misty Mountains next week in search of adventure!

Can't wait to see pictures :P

Taylor Steiner wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:08 am https://youtube.com/shorts/3YYu-JEnkSY?feature=share this place always felt very middle earth to me.

Where ever that is, it looks almost exactly how I imagine Beorn's hall to look :mrgreen:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

It does look like Beorns hall to me too. It's in East Glacier Montana.
Frodo lives!
Desert Loon
Dúnadan

Post by Desert Loon »

Yay Montana! Glacier is beautiful enough to be Valinor.

Yesterday to commemorate the Professor's death date I stopped on my bike ride home and took another walk onto Mahogany Mountain. In my last post I showed a little hill I didn't have time to scale; this time I did. It commands some nice views:

North

South

The valley filled with folk

The mountain. One of these days when I have time I'll post pictures of a hike I took up above and behind there. One of these days I'll explore more of those trails you can see if you look closely.

Short and sweet. I indulged in listening to music, which I don't often do when hiking. I'm not always in the mood for Dungeon Synth music but this time it hit the spot in setting a mood. And then on the way back down, as I walked along the literal border of the suburbs, my music player went to "Subdivisions" by Rush. A nice little synchronicity.
Glory be to God for dappled things
And áll trádes, their gear and tackle and trim. (Hopkins)
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Awesome!
Frodo lives!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

That looks like a stunning place :P
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Ooof what a climb - that looks spectacular!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Probably the last outing for the year for me, a simple overnight camp in full kit on Ironbark ridge. Focus was on food and dinner was an entree of fried duck sausage, followed by fresh grilled venison and a pottage made of thinly sliced turnips, leeks and cabbage to which I added dried currants, crushed walnuts and locally foraged samphire.
The wildflowers are out in bloom here ahead of the dry season and I was able to find this beautiful waratah, a vibrant splash of red.

But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

that camp looks so cozy. :mrgreen:
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
ChoseyChas
Wanderer

Post by ChoseyChas »

Oh man, I'm so jealous, that's such a beautiful spot! Wonderful camp, and amazing looking food.