MERF Random Adventure Pictures

Whether new to the forum, or completely new to the community, herein you will find the best information to-date to help you get started on the right foot with that dangerous business of going out your door.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: MERF Random Adventure Pictures

Post by Iodo »

Cimrandir wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:30 pm Hah, that's fair enough. Your own enjoyment should come first for sure!
Thanks for understanding, I would love to make more video's like this but I don't get many chances to head out in kit so half of me just thinks I should enjoy it while I can, and anything extra that I decide to film is a bonus :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

That was great!
Frodo lives!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Taylor Steiner wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:10 am That was great!
Thank you :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Desert Loon
Dúnadan

Post by Desert Loon »

Yay! A new video to watch! And I loved the canoe pictures: I used to do a lot of canoeing as a teenager. Gotta get back into it.

This thread is such a blessing to me, I can't even tell you.
Glory be to God for dappled things
And áll trádes, their gear and tackle and trim. (Hopkins)
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Iodo wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:09 pm Editing was a lot of work, but I think this is probably about the best I could do with the footage I filmed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC_pz5ZYVsg&t=113s
Oh my goodness that is unbelievably good, I was watching it with a beaming smile seeing both how much fun you're having and also how truly foul the weather was. You took my idea and developed it perfectly, I am super glad now that when people talk about adventures I have a video to refer them to about some of the realities.
I'm also super impressed that you completed your patrol. Truly the name of Iodo Ionite must sung with praise at the long table of the Fellswardens!

Desert Loon wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:51 am Yay! A new video to watch! And I loved the canoe pictures: I used to do a lot of canoeing as a teenager. Gotta get back into it.

This thread is such a blessing to me, I can't even tell you.
It's cheap and accessible fun! We plan to do much more in the long summers here when we cannot hike comfortably. I'm glad you get some joy from the thread, I think it's one of the reasons many of us post here, to inspire and inspire that 'ahhhhh' moment in eachother.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Eofor wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:13 am Oh my goodness that is unbelievably good, I was watching it with a beaming smile seeing both how much fun you're having and also how truly foul the weather was. You took my idea and developed it perfectly, I am super glad now that when people talk about adventures I have a video to refer them to about some of the realities.
I'm also super impressed that you completed your patrol. Truly the name of Iodo Ionite must sung with praise at the long table of the Fellswardens!
That is high praise indeed, thank you :P
Desert Loon
Dúnadan

Post by Desert Loon »

I creep along very slowly, but I'm not giving up. Even with modern gear and limited time I can still go out and do picnics on my lunch break in the canyon close to my office, so that's what I did today.

Here's a view from my lunch spot looking toward the motorway. There's car noise but the trees leafing out are starting to screen better.

Here's my modern Polish Army bread bag with modern stuff in it, but showing one of my cloth food sacks (where I keep my hardtack).

Cooking another simple hardtack soup over my alcohol stove. Out here fire restrictions are the norm, so tiny stoves are very useful. I prefer the simplicity of the alcohol stoves (and how they can be made from pop and beer cans) to the high tech kind that use gas canisters, and as you can see it gets a very vigorous boil. I have found a nice little glass bottle with a cork (not pictured) to keep my broth mix in. I know carrying glass isn't ideal, but at least it's old-fashioned.

Nearby cliffs and distant mountain. One of these days, Old Timp, I'll get up on your side again.

Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

what a place! that is right next to your office? you are so lucky :mrgreen:
Desert Loon
Dúnadan

Post by Desert Loon »

Indeed - just a short bike ride away. If I rode further in there are a string of parks going up the canyon, including a very popular one with a waterfall. One of these days...
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

cool :P
Erfaron
Dúnadan

Post by Erfaron »

Pictures from my hike today in a state forest near me, got very close to these little porkers and was able to take some cool shots. Also some pictures of my lunch and knife/axe combo

"There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go." -Gandalf, Chapter 7, The Hobbit
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

mmmm, bacon! :mrgreen:
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Jack
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Jack »

Erfaron, for a moment I was anticipating for lunch to be the afore pictured pigs lol
Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Desert Loon wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:30 am I creep along very slowly, but I'm not giving up. Even with modern gear and limited time I can still go out and do picnics on my lunch break in the canyon close to my office, so that's what I did today
That's the best attitude one can have and honestly one I struggle with myself. Always waiting for perfection I am instead of just getting out there in what I have. I love those photos so much. Your Old Timp could almost double for castle ruins at the right angle. Cool stuff indeed.
Erfaron wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:31 pm Pictures from my hike today in a state forest near me, got very close to these little porkers and was able to take some cool shots. Also some pictures of my lunch and knife/axe combo
Ah, a fellow tomahawk fan. Nice to see one in it's natural habitat. Also, well done on your knife handle. I really enjoyed seeing the construction photos you were posting earlier. The pigs are cute! I love the spots haha
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Erfaron
Dúnadan

Post by Erfaron »

Cimrandir wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:10 pm
Desert Loon wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:30 am I creep along very slowly, but I'm not giving up. Even with modern gear and limited time I can still go out and do picnics on my lunch break in the canyon close to my office, so that's what I did today
That's the best attitude one can have and honestly one I struggle with myself. Always waiting for perfection I am instead of just getting out there in what I have. I love those photos so much. Your Old Timp could almost double for castle ruins at the right angle. Cool stuff indeed.
Erfaron wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:31 pm Pictures from my hike today in a state forest near me, got very close to these little porkers and was able to take some cool shots. Also some pictures of my lunch and knife/axe combo
Ah, a fellow tomahawk fan. Nice to see one in it's natural habitat. Also, well done on your knife handle. I really enjoyed seeing the construction photos you were posting earlier. The pigs are cute! I love the spots haha
I’ll post some of the cherry wood bow I’m making, also making a handle for my kukri
"There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go." -Gandalf, Chapter 7, The Hobbit