MERF Random Adventure Pictures

Whether new to the forum, or completely new to the community, herein you will find the best information to-date to help you get started on the right foot with that dangerous business of going out your door.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: MERF Random Adventure Pictures

Post by Iodo »

Thank you both :P
Eofor wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:06 am Brilliant scenery as always though it still looks very winterish despite it being spring?
Yep, those photo's were taken on Sunday and the temperature was about 6C, it stays quite wintery well into spring in the UK, I had ice on my car today
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

yep, it's still cold, there's snow on the ground :mrgreen:

Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Iodo wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:17 pm yep, it's still cold, there's snow on the ground :mrgreen:
That is a positively GORGEOUS setting! Feels quite a bit like the Shire!

So uh... do cleaning adventures count? Because this definitely started off as cleaning the office, and ended up with me doing a full kit test! :lol:

I still haven’t actually worn this full version of my kit into the field, but hopefully soon!
B111BF9D-98A9-4A4C-A047-B851927C9430.jpeg
B111BF9D-98A9-4A4C-A047-B851927C9430.jpeg (101.84 KiB) Viewed 7535 times
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Awesome Manveruon!
Frodo lives!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Manveruon wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:55 am That is a positively GORGEOUS setting! Feels quite a bit like the Shire!
Thank you :P and yep it does sort of seem like that, it's one of the few places left near me where they haven't made big ugly gravel paths
Manveruon wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:55 am So uh... do cleaning adventures count? Because this definitely started off as cleaning the office, and ended up with me doing a full kit test! :lol:
of course, you're kit looks awesome :P
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

It's taken me a week to have time to upload these images, a week and a half ago I said there was snow on the ground and a light dusting is normal for April in the UK, but then on the 10th of April this happened:

not so normal LOL
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Nice!
Frodo lives!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Hah! Beautiful though!
It’s currently dumping an awful lot of the white fluffy stuff right outside my window as I type this. Here in Colorado our spring season can be pretty bizarre. We often joke “April showers bring May blizzards.”
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

An adventure in the rain at the weekend:
Manveruon wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:17 am Hah! Beautiful though!
It’s currently dumping an awful lot of the white fluffy stuff right outside my window as I type this. Here in Colorado our spring season can be pretty bizarre. We often joke “April showers bring May blizzards.”
May blizzards :lol: we've actually had some of those as well now, and 1/2'' hail stones with thunder and we almost never get thunder storms in the spring in the UK, everything seems to have got weird lately
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Here’s one for you! My wife and I had a pretty incredible adventure yesterday (albeit very cold and wet)!
Last edited by Manveruon on Wed May 12, 2021 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

It looks amazing Manv! It all came together very well in the mist!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

That photo's seriously awesome :P :mrgreen:
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Okay folks! I’m getting super excited about these pictures as I edit them, so I’ve got to cave and dump a bunch more of them! But first, a little explanation:

I have been trying to organize a Ranger outing of some kind since like... September of last year, and EVERY SINGLE TIME it has fallen through for one reason or another (pandemic-related or otherwise). Finally, I had kind of written off doing an actual trek until the weather gets warmer and some of the local restrictions are lifted, but I have been working REALLY HARD on a lot of new kit items over the last year with nowhere to wear them, so I talked to a couple friends about maybe doing just a photo shoot, and they seemed down. We had a photographer all set up and we were ready to go, but the weather forecast turned really nasty, and long story short, we decided to cancel the shoot.

But here’s the thing.

When it gets really cold and rainy here, there’s a spot in the foothills just above where I used to live that predictably always gets completely covered in fog, turning it into an ABSOLUTELY STUNNING fantasy environment. So I said “screw it,” and asked Sarah if she would come up there and shoot with me alone. We brought our poor doggo, and he was a total trooper through the wet and rain (and even occasional snow), and BOY HOWDY DID WE GET SOME INCREDIBLE PICTURES!

I realize it was a staged shoot and not a “proper” outing, per-se, but I tried to wear as realistic a version of my trekking gear as I could get away with without totally covering all the work I wanted to show off, and in the end the only thing I think I really forgot was my water skin (which I’m kicking myself about, because it would have been great in some of the photos, but alas).

Anyway, I hope you all enjoy! And I have a feeling I’ll be posting a few more as we get done editing them.

(The location, incidentally, is area around the Boettcher Mansion and Lookout Mountain Nature Center in Golden, CO.)

Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Bonus doggo pics!
BCD62F4C-2D58-4F17-AAFE-CD41A08E25D7.jpeg
BCD62F4C-2D58-4F17-AAFE-CD41A08E25D7.jpeg (93.97 KiB) Viewed 6455 times
587D259A-207F-466F-9973-2E347D5AD2CE.jpeg
587D259A-207F-466F-9973-2E347D5AD2CE.jpeg (105.11 KiB) Viewed 6455 times