Mount Timpanogos bivouac

Whether new to the forum, or completely new to the community, herein you will find the best information to-date to help you get started on the right foot with that dangerous business of going out your door.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Desert Loon
Dúnadan

Mount Timpanogos bivouac

Post by Desert Loon »

I don't have much in the way of kit, but I do have a modest stash of wool blankets I've managed to collect, including a Hudson Bay style and a Swiss army - granted that one is only 80% wool. I turned it into a ruana cloak, but before I did that I took both of them on an overnight hike up Mount Timpanogos last summer with my daughter. We camped in the Hidden Lakes basin about halfway up the trail and almost 10,000 feet. We made a bedroll with the two blankets and a waxed canvas tarp. To be honest, I'm not sure if it wasn't quite warm enough or if our lack of sleep was more due to the full moon or the mosquito.

Anyway, here's a shot of my daughter rolled up in the blankets in the morning - before the mountain goats invaded our camp.

And some shots she took of the goats and the scenery. Sorry the old camera has such low resolution.
Glory be to God for dappled things
And áll trádes, their gear and tackle and trim. (Hopkins)
Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: Mount Timpanogos bivouac

Post by Iodo »

Awesome stuff, that looks like an incredible place to camp :mrgreen:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Desert Loon
Dúnadan

Post by Desert Loon »

Iodo wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:19 am Awesome stuff, that looks like an incredible place to camp :mrgreen:
I hope to go back there again. This past summer we camped on another part of the mountain, in a bigger group, with tents. And I lent my daughters one of my blankets so I was chilly again at night. I still have a ways to go before I get a really effective authentic overnight kit for high elevations.
Glory be to God for dappled things
And áll trádes, their gear and tackle and trim. (Hopkins)
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Desert Loon wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:33 am I still have a ways to go before I get a really effective authentic overnight kit for high elevations.
I have been on this forum 4 years and I still don't have that, so no rush, the objective here is just to get out in your kit wherever it be up to :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.