New Ranger in Northeast Georgia, USA

Whether new to the forum, or completely new to the community, herein you will find the best information to-date to help you get started on the right foot with that dangerous business of going out your door.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

OParnoShoshoi
Dúnadan

New Ranger in Northeast Georgia, USA

Post by OParnoShoshoi »

Hello there!

I am just recently getting into this hobby, though I've had several similar hobbies for quite a while now. I've been a soldier, a camp counselor, a boy scout leader, a farmer, a craftsman of various sorts.

I am originally from the Seattle area (fantastic woods and trails there!) but now live between Gainesville, GA and Toccoa, GA. I'm around Clarkesville. Nearby is the fantastic Lake Russell wilderness area with miles of dirt road trails and several waterfalls.

I would love to find someone nearby to act as a partner or a mentor in the subject. I own lots of camping gear, but very little that is appropriate to the Second or Third Age. But if someone nearby wants to help me learn the ropes, I think it would be a lot of fun with a lot of opportunities for different sights and experiences in the region.
(INSERT WITTICISM HERE)
Harper
Haeropada

Re: New Ranger in Northeast Georgia, USA

Post by Harper »

Welcome Ranger!

Mae Govannen!
Jack
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Jack »

Welcome!
Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!
Tom_Ranger
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Tom_Ranger »

Welcome Ranger

I believe Stormraven is in your area.
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
OParnoShoshoi
Dúnadan

Post by OParnoShoshoi »

Looks like he's in Savannah, a lowlander! I'm up on the NC border myself.
(INSERT WITTICISM HERE)
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Mae govannen! I would look into Taurinor's Richmond Fantasy Hiking group (Virginia), I believe Eric C is somewhere in the Carolinas, and BrianGrubbs is in Alabama (he has a fantastic YouTube channel btw.)
Tom_Ranger wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:57 pm Welcome Ranger

I believe Stormraven is in your area.
Sad to say they've not logged in for almost six years. Last online was 2016.
Last edited by Cimrandir on Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Welcome Ranger!
Frodo lives!
OParnoShoshoi
Dúnadan

Post by OParnoShoshoi »

Cimrandir wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:15 pm , and BrianGrubbs is in Alabama (he has a fantastic YouTube channel btw.)

Is he the guy who also makes a lot of TikTok videos?
(INSERT WITTICISM HERE)
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

I have no idea since I'm not on TikTok but his YouTube channel is here!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Welcome to the forums Opa! (no way am I typing that full name every time I reply :mrgreen: )
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
OParnoShoshoi
Dúnadan

Post by OParnoShoshoi »

Eofor wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:03 am Welcome to the forums Opa! (no way am I typing that full name every time I reply :mrgreen: )
Haha no that's good. Technically it's "O Parno Shoshoi", which is "the white rabbit" in Rromanes. I've heard a million variations though, of people shortening it.
(INSERT WITTICISM HERE)
Erfaron
Dúnadan

Post by Erfaron »

OParnoShoshoi wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:56 pm Hello there!

I am just recently getting into this hobby, though I've had several similar hobbies for quite a while now. I've been a soldier, a camp counselor, a boy scout leader, a farmer, a craftsman of various sorts.

I am originally from the Seattle area (fantastic woods and trails there!) but now live between Gainesville, GA and Toccoa, GA. I'm around Clarkesville. Nearby is the fantastic Lake Russell wilderness area with miles of dirt road trails and several waterfalls.

I would love to find someone nearby to act as a partner or a mentor in the subject. I own lots of camping gear, but very little that is appropriate to the Second or Third Age. But if someone nearby wants to help me learn the ropes, I think it would be a lot of fun with a lot of opportunities for different sights and experiences in the region.
I also have no one super close, I think the closest is 3-4 hours which honestly isn’t too bad. A great resource I’ve found is Fandabi Dozi on YouTube, he has a series on 17th century highlander survival but shoes a lot of interesting content on how to come up with and use historical gear.
"There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go." -Gandalf, Chapter 7, The Hobbit
OParnoShoshoi
Dúnadan

Post by OParnoShoshoi »

I think I've seen that channel. Maybe I'll be able to find some others nearby enough just for the occasional meetup. Regional Rangermoot lol
(INSERT WITTICISM HERE)
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

OParnoShoshoi wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:05 pm ]
Technically it's "O Parno Shoshoi", which is "the white rabbit" in Rromanes. I've heard a million variations though, of people shortening it.
Ahhh that's a bit easier to work with. Welcome to the boards Hwithara
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Welcome :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.