About Elvish Culture

From Lorien to the Undying Lands...

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eric C
Vendor

About Elvish Culture

Post by Eric C »

Mae Govannen mellon.
Once more, I have been absent for an extended period of time. Work, school and other obligations have dominated my time. It's been a while since I've had a good LOTR discussion, so let's start one here! I am currently researching some things about Angarth's early life. Elves play a big part in his development. This has made me curious. What culture do you feel the good Professor modelled the Elves after? It seems in the movies, they took a bit of an Oriental turn. I'm not sure this is the correct path. Their culture will affect their crafts , which ultimately is what I'm after. In the movies, their weapons had an Oriental feel, but Orcrist and Glamdring are also Elvish, as is Sting. Personally, I feel that, with their eye for very fine things, nature and millennia to hone their skills, Oriental touches may seep into their work at times. For the record, I hated the movie version of Orcrist.
So anyway, what say you fine folk of Middle Earth? What impression do you have of Elvish Culture in Middle Earth and how does it affect their weapons in your mind's eye?
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: About Elvish Culture

Post by Elleth »

If memory serves, the deepest cultural inspiration was the Finns - at least in language, somewhat in appearance, and most especially the Kalevala.
I'd have to dig back through the letters and HoME to be more confident of that though.

Regarding weapons in particular, this is what my mind's eye sees, but I've no real substantiation there, just implicit cultural associations.
http://middleearthrangers.org/forum/vie ... f5b#p43838
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Eric C
Vendor

Re: About Elvish Culture

Post by Eric C »

Hmm, interesting. I believe there is definite merit for your ideas. I think leaf-bladed double-edged blades and recurved single-edged blades would suit an Elf well. I will study your post better when I get off work today.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.