Beorning Combs WIP

From Numenor to Far Harad...

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

caedmon
Balku'npâ

Beorning Combs WIP

Post by caedmon »

Been playing at making Viking style combs out of maple and walnut. The decoration is vaguely Dwarvish and 3rd age Dunedain, just because it was quick. The runes are: "May your beard never grow thin."

Mostly figure the finished ones will be Beorning because I figure they would prefer to use wood over animal products like bone.

So Beornings, what sort of decoration should they have?
IMG_4179s.jpg
IMG_4179s.jpg (90.03 KiB) Viewed 7260 times
IMG_4180s.jpg
IMG_4180s.jpg (83.21 KiB) Viewed 7260 times
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Beorning Combs WIP

Post by Elleth »

I love how the flower pattern works on one!

Beorning... I think Udwin's geometrics would would quite well there! I like the bees particularly, but that might not be the right connotations for something going in hair. :mrgreen:
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Very cool! Those are so crispy, how are you getting the teeth so evenly laid out?
That's a great quote for a comb!, I like the flower deco as well, but they don't 'read' as Beorning to me.
The only example of Beorning decorations we have from the text is Beorn's tablecloth 'embroidered at the edges with figures of animals'--but what that looks like is up to interpretation: Celtic knotwork animals, Norse grasping critters, something earlier and more primitive, who knows? All depends on what your impression of Beornings looks like. (I'm always partial to geometrics, of course >;)
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Those are beautiful! I wouldn’t mind having one very much like the example with the Dundeain inspired decorations - but unlike the Beornings, I tend to prefer bone or horn combs to wooden once, since the wood tends to catch in my hair.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Udwin wrote:Very cool! Those are so crispy, how are you getting the teeth so evenly laid out?

Yeah, I cheated. Used modern tools. Laser cutter in this instance.
-Jack Horner

Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Manveruon wrote:Those are beautiful! I wouldn’t mind having one very much like the example with the Dundeain inspired decorations - but unlike the Beornings, I tend to prefer bone or horn combs to wooden once, since the wood tends to catch in my hair.
I'm trying to figure out a good source for workable flat bone & horn sheet. Once I do, I'll try to make some.
-Jack Horner

Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Sweet!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Nice work :P
caedmon wrote: Yeah, I cheated. Used modern tools. Laser cutter in this instance.
I thought I recognised laser cut wood :lol:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

So uhh, you sharing that laser file?
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I thought Ib recognized laser engraving...but it's BEAUTIFUL!

...and I bet a quick once over with a piece of sandpaper could pretty easily smooth out a lot of the 'crispy' and make it much more realistic. Almost like the laser-cutter is making your blank, and you could clean it up 'in post'.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Oh, those look great!!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain