How could the soldiers of Gondor fight?

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Darnokthemage
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

How could the soldiers of Gondor fight?

Post by Darnokthemage »

https://youtu.be/0LG4c1egKv8

I found this very interesting channel on Youtube which explores how Various historical and Fictional peoples would have fought. They seem very interesting and quite true to the lore!
Artist, larper and history lover.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: How could the soldiers of Gondor fight?

Post by Elleth »

very cool!

... I very much like their mental picture!
Roman-ish discipline and Bayeux Tapestry kite shields looks spot on - at least to comparatively untrained eyes!
Really really cool!

I rather suspect also that this model is more true for the soldiers of Minas Tirith than for all of Gondor generally.
I recall a scene where I think it's Pippin sitting with a captain of the guard in Minas Tirith, watching what little aid they received come through the gates. It's my memory there was an air of "lots of different peoples" that implied something of a diversity of strengths.

It's my understanding the provinces of Gondor are rather far-flung, and I imagine - for instance - the hill men of the northern mountains might be more irregular in appearance and approach. Likewise the knights of Dol Amroth seem more cavalry-focused.

Oh, if only the movies were so well done as the fan work. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Darnokthemage
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: How could the soldiers of Gondor fight?

Post by Darnokthemage »

Yeah, the provinces seem to supply and train their own forces. Only Minas Tirith and Dol Amroth seem to be able to employ proffesional soldiers. And even then a majority of them seem to be levys and recruits.
Artist, larper and history lover.