Making the Lasdhir: Adventures in Stitchery

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Making the Lasdhir: Adventures in Stitchery

Post by Elleth »

So this is fun: I just came across a real-world northwestern European antecedent for this thing - the "Birka Wallet" of 9th century Norse provenance.

The construction is different: a horizontal slit instead of a vertical one: but It's got the "market wallet" idea of a large compartment folded over around a central opening. It also has some secondary pockets sewn on the inside - an idea I was playing with but never implemented.

Here's one reconstruction from haandkraft -
haandkraft-birka-wallet.jpg
haandkraft-birka-wallet.jpg (146.22 KiB) Viewed 18969 times
... and another from Nathan's Workshop on etsy -
nathans-workshop-etst-birka-wallet-02.jpg
nathans-workshop-etst-birka-wallet-02.jpg (62.27 KiB) Viewed 18969 times

I'm thinking a "lasdhir 2.0" project might have to go into my sewing basket this winter. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Now that's pretty cool.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

That's not just pretty cool, it's VERY cool!
With the access slit on the underside, would it be a bit more awkward (compared to a 'lasdhir'-type slit pouch) to store/retrieve items from the inside storage area? Though I guess the outer pockets under the flap could be for more frequently-retrieved goodies?
Any idea if the loops around the outer edge could be functional? (just thinking, since they remind me of the sling tubes on Rev war military canteens)
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Isn't it just?
With the access slit on the underside, would it be a bit more awkward (compared to a 'lasdhir'-type slit pouch) to store/retrieve items from the inside storage area?
I don't think that would make much difference: I normally wear my lasdhir with the slit on the inside anyhow, and just draw the whole thing from my belt if I want to use it - I'd use this thing in the same way I think. What WOULD make a difference is the orientation of the slit: the horizontal slit here makes for a smaller opening, so it would be just a little trickier to reach items that had settled in the bottom of the pouch. A vertical slit with tacked-on pockets would be interesting: I'm not even certain it would work, but I'm curious to try it at some point.
Any idea if the loops around the outer edge could be functional? (just thinking, since they remind me of the sling tubes on Rev war military canteens)
Those are curious.
I can think of one use: see how the cord is strung in the Nathan's Workshop picture? Imagine it strung the other way, so that the cord came out the top of the "angled" end rather than the flat end. This would let you fasten the cord to your belt and let the whole thing hang open at your side - with all the little pockets right there close to hand. I can't imagine why one might have done that - a merchant wanting easy access to coins of different denominations? A gathering pouch? Work materials for a task? No idea.
Reaver

Post by Reaver »

Hello! Sorry to post in an old topic, but I wanted to thank the original poster for this tutorial. It made a great COVID-bound project and kept my hands busy. Here's Mine:

I rolled the edge and sewed it down on the inside, which slowed the handsewing a good deal. I left the leather long when doing so, and carefully scissored the waste away after. I used linen and goat hide, which I sanded off the finish, wet in a sink and let dry before sewing down. I did not beeswax the inside, but it makes it wrinkly because....Linen.

In any case, thank you for the great tutorial.

--Reaver
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

nice work, and welcome to the forum :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Oh that looks awesome - well done!

.... and yes, welcome! :mrgreen:
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Great work, and welcome!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Ghostsoldier
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Ghostsoldier »

Really nice, and welcome, Ranger! :P

Rob
"Nothing's forgotten."
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

That's a brilliant first project Reaver. I'd not seen this tutorial until you revived it so you have my thanks.

I sometimes carry a cloth pouch over the belt like this and use a small iron penannular on it for added security while out and about. This version with equal carrying capacity wouldn't need it and make access a lot easier.

Sigh, another thing on the 'to make' list
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Reaver

Post by Reaver »

Thanks, Everyone! Much appreciated!